What's new

Difference between Mach3 and Mach3 Turbo?

What are the differences between these cartridges? I have been using Mach3 catridges for many years and have no complaints. Just curious what the Mach3 Turbo has to offer, which is a few bucks more for a pack of cartridges.

What are the differences between these cartridges? I have been using Mach3 catridges for many years and have no complaints. Just curious what the Mach3 Turbo has to offer, which is a few bucks more for a pack of cartridges.

i honestly don't know, and i'm curious.

I think the color is the only difference. Mach 3=black, Turbo=light gray

I just think they made the Turbo cartiridges to go with the Turbo razor handle. Merely marketing.

I think there is a difference in the lubricating strip, but it doesn't justify the higher cost.

Any Mach 3 cartridge will fit any Mach 3 handle.

The Mach 3 Turbo has more "fins" than the regular Mach 3. In my experience, I much prefer the regular Mach 3 blades. The Turbo version has more friction and doesn't provide as close a shave as the regular Mach 3. If you need to use a cartridge razor, go with the Mach 3.

Well, the turbo, with it's turbo-charged, high powered capability, empties your wallet and bank account at a much faster rate than the lower powered and normally aspirated Mach 3...

But then again, I'm full of it. They both travel at three times the speed of sound... hmm...

The Mach 3 Turbo has more "fins" than the regular Mach 3. In my experience, I much prefer the regular Mach 3 blades. The Turbo version has more friction and doesn't provide as close a shave as the regular Mach 3. If you need to use a cartridge razor, go with the Mach 3.
So there is a noticable difference? :mad3: now I have to find out.

The lubricating strip is different. The M3 Turbo is better. I shaved my head with both for a long time and I could tell the difference.

I suspect that the only difference is the price. P&G knows a sucker is good for some extra dough.

-- John Gehman

the mach 3 turbo has more "fins" than the regular mach 3. In my experience, i much prefer the regular mach 3 blades. The turbo version has more friction and doesn't provide as close a shave as the regular mach 3. If you need to use a cartridge razor, go with the mach 3.

+1

Thanks everyone. It's looks likes the Mach3 Turbo cartridge has an anti-friction coating on the blades, more fins and a better lubricating strip. Does that justify the higher cost (about $.25 more a cartridge)? I get a great shave with a Mach3, but wanted to give the Mach3 Turbo a shot.

Because my main shaving blade is an M3Power (that's the green variety), I did some extensive testing to see if I could spare a few bucks, and my findings are the opposite of what is mentioned here. I do not use the silly vibrating handle, by the way; I've bought a nice solid steel one. M3's are the worst of the lot: they do not shave smoothly and closely. Good for emergency use if nothing else is available, but that's it. The M3T is much better already, but doesn't last more than a few shaves. The M3P lasts me about twice to three times as long as the M3T, which more than justifies its higher cost. (And yes, this is all done using quality cream or soap, good prep, good WTG/XTG/ATG technique, and the rest of the shaving mantra. The result is BBS without nicks or irritation or ingrowns.)

FWIW, I also tried Wilkinson Quattros at one point. Those felt very harsh and unpleasant. Fusions are annoying because of their large head and stupid rubber runway, necessitating a 6th blade on the other side of the cartridge to shave the whiskers. A solution to a problem which needn't be there in the first place. DEs I dislike intensely because I cannot easily manoeuver the head below the chinline. Blade angle goes out the window at that point, and my skin bears the brunt of my brain's insisting I give them another try and that this time it will be different. Well, the pattern of weepers and nicks definitely is... :tongue:.

As with all things, YMMV. Even Mach3 blades are not created equal despite what some people think, and the blade angle has to sit right with you as well.

Last edited:
Well, I had a $4 off coupon for CVS, so I bought a pack of Mach3 Turbos on Sunday. Two shaves in and I feel like I get a better shave with the Mach3 Turbo compared to the Mach3, smoother and closer. Maybe due to the better fins (more fins compressed in the same area) and better lubricating strip? I'll report back after more shaves and see how long a cartridge lasts.

Of course Turbo's need cooling fins, when you are shaving at that speed.

:blushing: Sorry couldn't help myself, use what your'e comfortable with.

Top Bottom