What's new

Difference between Mach3 and Mach3 Turbo?

I switched to DE from Mach 3, but still use Mach 3 for shaving my head. I do feel I get a better longer lasting shave on my face with DE compared to either Mach 3 versions! My main reason for switching was cost. I am converted, at least for now, with the Gillette Sharp Edge blades and my 1956 Red Tip. 4-5 shave out of each blade and BBS just about every time...so far.

As for the Mach 3 versus Mach 3 Turbo...I never noticed a real difference other than price, but I didn't use to pay that much attention to my face or quality shaving with these. Here is where it gets good... I read somewhere about the cartridge blades (Mach 3's in particular) and how they will actually hold their edge much longer than we shave with them. I used to get a week out of them, then tug/pull would cause me to switch to new. And that strip for comfort is priceless if no preparation, and was usually gone after a few shaves. So I looked further into some product for 20-25 dollars that supposedly sharpens/cleans the blades of these cartridges. No replacement strip, so preparation becomes more important after using this unnamed item. Then I saw something about using blue jean material. The cartridge is dragged across the blue jeans in one direction 10 times, then switched and dragged in the opposite direction 10 times, (opposite direction of shaving). I laughed at the thought, but what if???

My results after I stopped laughing since I would still have to buy cartridges to shave my head: I am still DE, but continuing with the Mach 3 for my head. And beleive it or not, dragging the Mach 3 cartridge across a pair of blue jean pants 20 short strokes (10 each direction) and then using sound preparation shaving my head, the Mach 3 blades, I mean blade I have been using has lasted two weeks and counting. No pull/tug and darn near as close shave as I could imagine with DE on my head without the nicks/cuts I'm sure I would get. Have a good laugh at a newbie offering this up, but I couldn't believe it either, at first. I think of all the cartridges I have been through and tossed...AAAARRRRGGGGHHHH!

As always, I appreciate all the advice I have received from here. And since I will be using both shaving systems for a while, my thanks again!

Last edited:
My wife bought me a Tiffany's sterling Sensor when the razor was introduced in 1990. Last Christmas, I decided to treat myself and purchased an EJ Chatsworth set with M3 and super badger brush.

I am 64 and began wet shaving at age 18 with Old Spice. I used DE for years but remember cutting myself often. Now my eyes are bad and my hands shake a tad so even though I would enjoy a DE (because I am a purist) cartridges are my blade of choice.

I always thought I had a moderately heavy beard (need a daily shave) but here's the thing--I can shave for at least a month on an M3T without experiencing any unusual drag. I generally replace once a month but believe I could probably go longer. Sure, the strip goes after a week but it does not impact shave quality at all.

Right now I alternate between Trumper, EJ and C&E soaps.

Update

After following this forum for three plus years, I broke down and purchased an EJ Chatsworth DE and some Derbys to replace my M3T. I figured I could sell it here if I had to. Anyway, I used it this morning for the first time. Did a triple pass and did not even nick myself--beginners luck I'm sure.

I read a lot of reviews before taking the plunge. This razor is reputed to be unagressive and a very smooth shaver. I am in total agreement. Will save the M3 for days when my wife admonishes me to "hurry up and get ready".

I drive a '96 car, write with a fountain pen and wear an analog watch with a plastic crystal. I think you can understand why I needed to give the DE a try. It's much different than the adjustable Gillette I used as a kid.

A side note--I've been using VDH soap. I nuke it and add a touch of scent. Maybe it's my water but it lathers wonderfully for me. I would never have even tried the stuff (I am a bit of a snob when it comes to shaving); the comments here convinced me to invest $2.50. What a surprise!

A Lexus? What have you been smokin'? The Avalon is a much better value if you care nothing about handling and driver feedback.

I'd take a VW over a Toyota in any case.

The Mach 3 Turbo has more "fins" than the regular Mach 3. In my experience, I much prefer the regular Mach 3 blades. The Turbo version has more friction and doesn't provide as close a shave as the regular Mach 3. If you need to use a cartridge razor, go with the Mach 3.
What are fins anyway

OK, just guessing here, but I'm thinking the Turbo shaves much faster, particularly at the beginning? It may not go as far as its counterpart, however. YMMV.

The Turbo is better. I always thought it was the strip, but perhaps it has something to do with the fins I guess. It's an easier shave. I wouldn't shave with the regular blades unless I was in a pinch.

That's about right. Faster and easier. The original blades do the job fine, but the Turbo blades do just as well and don't require handling your shave with quite as much care. It's an easier shave with the Turbo blades, personal opinion. Unless you pinch pennies like crazy- and more power to you if you do- it's worth spending a little more for the Turbo blades.

For me the original M3 last longer than the Turbo.

That's the only major difference I noticed.

Same here. I've found that the lubrication strip on the original M3 lasts much longer. The Turbo is not worth the extra cost IMO.

How many shaves do you all get out of an M3 cartridge?

Same here. I've found that the lubrication strip on the original M3 lasts much longer. The Turbo is not worth the extra cost IMO.

How many shaves do you all get out of an M3 cartridge?

I get about 3-4 weeks shaving everyday.

Sometimes I could push it to a month.

I get about 3-4 weeks shaving everyday.

Sometimes I could push it to a month.

Interesting. I shave 6 days/week…two pass shave and maybe a quick cleanup in certain areas. I have a fairly thick beard. I’ve just been used to changing blades once a week. I may have to relook at my shaving habits. Maybe I’ll just stretch it out and see what happens.

Last edited:
Interesting. I shave 6 days/week…two pass shave and maybe a quick cleanup in certain areas. I have a fairly thick beard. I’ve just been used to changing blades once a week. I may have to relook at my shaving habits. Maybe I’ll just stretch it out and see what happens.

I haven't used a Mach 3 in about 5 years, but I remember them degrading pretty quick after a week or so. I usually used them for a month, but only because I was trying to save some money.

I haven't used a Mach 3 in about 5 years, but I remember them degrading pretty quick after a week or so. I usually used them for a month, but only because I was trying to save some money.

Yea, that's why I change blades weekly. I don't understand how people are getting 3-4 weeks plus out of a blade.

When it start dulling you definitely gotta take it slower. Have good prep.

I only do WTG, maybe that's how I can use it for up to a month.

Top Bottom