What's new

Difference between Mach3 and Mach3 Turbo?

(gives weird look) excuse me, what exactly are you doing in this forum ? :tongue:
Talking about great shaves. Comparing soaps and creams. Discussing fragrances from aftershaves and edts. Debunking silly nonsense like 'soaps are better than creams', 'tallow is magic', and 'cartridges are bad'.

the mach 3 turbo has 10 microfins. you can actually go to the gillette website and there's a comparison chart.

i actually don't think the mach 3 is so bad.

The Sensor is better yet.

Now back to the discussion of soaps and brushes and alum, etc. After all, the site is 'Badger & Blade' not 'Goo and Cartridge'.

-- John Gehman

This is a shaving forum, isn't it :biggrin:

(gives weird look) excuse me, what exactly are you doing in this forum ? :tongue:

Hey now, I use a cartridge razor, badger brush and good creams. There are not many resources for catridge users.

The Sensor is better yet.

Now back to the discussion of soaps and brushes and alum, etc. After all, the site is 'Badger & Blade' not 'Goo and Cartridge'.

-- John Gehman

I definitely get a little smoother shave with the Mach3 Turbos. The only issue is the lubricating strip fades quicker. After 4 shaves, the strip is pretty much gone. I change my blade once a week (after 6 shaves and take Sundays off). The 5th and 6th shaves are not quite as smooth, but decent and pretty much BBS. I wish the strip would last longer. It definitely helps give a smoother shave as per my testing results above.

Right from wikipedia:

Mach3 The first three-blade razor, introduced in 1998, which Gillette claims reduces irritation and requires fewer strokes. It claimed five improved microfins, improved spring blades, and a pivoting head with greater flexability than previous Gillette products. It used a blue lubrication strip that faded as the razor was used to encourage users to change their blades more frequently. The Mach3 handle was also redesigned. Venus was designed for women and is a Mach 3 variant.

Mach3 Turbo had ten microfins (as opposed to five on the original), a new grip and claims improved lubrication and "anti-friction" blades. All Mach3 blades are interchangeable between the three products in the range, so it is possible to use the Mach3 Turbo blades on a Mach3 razor. The Mach3 Turbo Champion has a slightly different handle design. The Venus Divine is the Venus version of the Mach3 Turbo.

M3Power is a battery-powered version of the Mach3 Turbo razor which can also be used with the power switched off. The blades differ from Mach3 Turbo in having what Gillette says is a new blade coating which it describes as "PowerGlide". The lubrication and microfins are identical to Mach3Turbo. The Mach 3 Power Nitro has a slightly different handle design. The Venus Vibrance is the Venus variant of the M3Power. Venus blades are interchangeable across the line.

I actually liked the M3 Turbo better as well. The lubricating strip does help the blade glide better, if you're using goo out of a can. If you're using a fine soap this of course is pretty useless.

the Mach three turbo is a smoother shave than the regular Mach three....at least for me. It does not justify the higher cost though. Have you ever considered switching to a DE? You would save money and probably get a better more comfortable shave

I totally agree :thumbup:

As do I. The Sensor is far superior to the Mach 3. :thumbup:

I got a Mach 3 Turbo handle for a dirt cheap price ($2.50) so I tired the Mach 3 blades for awhile. While they were not horrible, they certainly weren't any better than the Sensor; I actually think they performed worst than the Sensor.

As do I. The Sensor is far superior to the Mach 3. :thumbup:

I got a Mach 3 Turbo handle for a dirt cheap price ($2.50) so I tired the Mach 3 blades for awhile. While they were not horrible, they certainly weren't any better than the Sensor; I actually think they performed worst than the Sensor.

Comparing the Mach 3 to a Sensor is like comparing a Chevy Cavalier to a Dodge Neon. Both are worthless and neither compare to a Lexus (a DE).

J

Jarmo P

You do still have to use pressure with what ever pivotable cartridge. Try using a one blade non pivotable shaver and multiple passes.

Comparing the Mach 3 to a Sensor is like comparing a Chevy Cavalier to a Dodge Neon. Both are worthless and neither compare to a Lexus (a DE).

We'll have to agree to disagree. For me, the Sensor is like a Honda Accord versus the M3's Dodge Neon. Clearly superior.

Still not a Lexus, but much better than the Neon.

You do still have to use pressure with what ever pivotable cartridge.
Excuse me...? How come people assume that users of the Mach---especially those users who frequent these forums---shave like those sporty fools shown in the glamorous commercials? A sharp metal edge is a sharp metal edge, for Pete's sake! Do you honestly believe that the metal edge from a DE blade is that different from that of a cartridge, even though Gillette sort-of invented the DE...???

All the shaving mantras apply to Machs too:
  • NO PRESSURE!
  • Take you time prepping.
  • Pay careful attention to grain.
  • NO PRESSURE!
  • Use a good cream and a good brush.
  • Shave in passes.
  • NO PRESSURE!
Anyone stating that cartridges require the user to use pressure royally deserves (deserved, rather) all the nicks, weepers, cuts, rashes, burns and ingrowns said instrument inflict{s/ed} on him.

That said, owing to the fixed blade angle, the cartridge is not for everyone, and then a tool where the angle can be varied comes in handy. The pivoting head just makes sure that the angle is always correct no matter the position of the hand, which for me with my poor eyesight is a major pro. And the head is a lot smaller than the bulk of a DE, which causes my neck no end of grief. But that's another story.

Last edited:
I found I had to really dig the razor into my skin with the Mach 3, lots of pressure. Doesn't Gillette recommend this? With the way the blades are set back in the cartridge I don't see how else it would work?

Anyway, I agree the Sensor is better, and doesn't require as much pressure, but still a lot more than a DE or straight, obviously.

Top Bottom