What's new

Barbicide

I know there are many threads on barbicide but I have not been able to find answers to all my questions...

1) Does it have a use by date/will the concentrated form in the bottle work the same in 5 years time?

2) How do you actually use it to clean a razor? - Hve a rough idea but can you reuse the container, do you need to wear gloves etc.

3) Has anyone used it and had a good experience?

Thanks

1. Sadly it does have an expiration date. It should be printed somewhere on the bottle. I got mine in 2009 and it expires in January of 2011. It was probably sitting in the warehouse for quite some time.

2. Gloves not needed. Just make sure to follow the directions for mixing. In my case it was 1 ounce for 16 ounces of water. Dunk the razor(s) to be cleaned (you do have more than one right :lol:) in the solution and let them sit for 15 minutes. If they don't quite fit you can turn them over and let it go another 15 minutes IF you don't fall under the category of #3

3. I've used it and had great results, but I've also used it and had bad results. Using it on celluloid scaled straights has shown me it is a bit of a craps shoot. It will do something to celluloid that makes the celluloid smell funny (I believe) indefinitely without routine ballistol/mineral oil treatments. Also check around before you use it on any gold Gillettes. I seem to recall it does something unusual but whether it is good/bad/fine I don't remember.

1. Sadly it does have an expiration date. It should be printed somewhere on the bottle. I got mine in 2009 and it expires in January of 2011. It was probably sitting in the warehouse for quite some time.

2. Gloves not needed. Just make sure to follow the directions for mixing. In my case it was 1 ounce for 16 ounces of water. Dunk the razor(s) to be cleaned (you do have more than one right :lol:) in the solution and let them sit for 15 minutes. If they don't quite fit you can turn them over and let it go another 15 minutes IF you don't fall under the category of #3

3. I've used it and had great results, but I've also used it and had bad results. Using it on celluloid scaled straights has shown me it is a bit of a craps shoot. It will do something to celluloid that makes the celluloid smell funny (I believe) indefinitely without routine ballistol/mineral oil treatments. Also check around before you use it on any gold Gillettes. I seem to recall it does something unusual but whether it is good/bad/fine I don't remember.

+1

I use it full strength for first time sterilization of a vinatge razor (especially if purchased at an antique store/garage sale/flea market), diluted for routine maintenance type sterilization. Other than that, I would only add that you need to make certain that you rinse it THOROUGHLY after using barbicide. This will minimize any ill effects it might have on the metal (I haven't experienced any), and also make it safer for you, in the event you cut yourself.

The Barbicide Pro contains phenols as disinfectants and will do a job early plastics such as celluloid.

Just to update this thread - This is a screencap from the Barbicide website.
636D6FAF-2155-4CEE-A9D8-A88AD46CAD6C.png
636D6FAF-2155-4CEE-A9D8-A88AD46CAD6C.png

Good to know... I have had the same bottle for about 6 years now, and was wondering if I needed to toss it or not!

Top Bottom