What's new

Green shoots? More like green patch

I am 39 and began shaving with a Kent badger gifted by my father in 1985. When he passed away in 89, I then inherited his Kent V2 and a shell handled badger, the latter I used till about four years ago. (Both the Kents fell out of my hands and broke the handles). I incidentally managed to lose my grandfathers straight razor when we were moving houses amongst other goodies like a shell and an invory cigarette holder, a single edge shaving kit, with all the gizmos I cant recall.

My father taught me how to lather and use a DE, but not a straight. HOwever, being lazy and pursuing other interests as a teenager, I stuck to Gillette two tracks then.

I then bought a super badger off the net on which I'm sure i got ripped off. It's started to go "bald" in the middle. Last year when my wife visited the US, she bought me TWO very handsome silver tips from her aunt's ex-husband. And her grandfather gave me his old brush whose bristles are of dubious ancestry.

That said, I have for 23 years used Gillette two tracks, Contours, Sensors and till very recently Mach 3 razors with my brushes and shave soaps (Col. Conks, Nivea, Dettol, Old Spice amongst others) and for the last one year a disposable blade cheap plastic handled straight razor and a (very nice) SS rip off of a '70's Old Spice DE, which I usually prefer.

Being of Indian origin, I have dark black and a thick growth and am very fair for Indian standards. I have constantly had a green patch on my face even after having had a GREAT shave, irrespective of the razor used.

Any thoughts.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Okay - Everyone gets One Guess

I'm guessing a combination of "Green Shoots" = New, Fresh Growth and "Soul Patch" = that little piece of hair under the lower lip grown by people who think it looks "cool".

Welcome to a Great Place for Wet Shavers.

Thanks for the welcome, but the green patch I'm referring to is that my entire face (the shave areas) has a tinge of green in spite of getting a really close BBS shave. Is it beacause of a combination of my complexion and dark thick growth?

your hair grows green?

proxy.php

ps, welcome! :biggrin:

LOL NIce pic. But seriously. Indian, Fair skinned, dark black hair, BBS shave, green tint to those areas. Does it happen to people with a similar background?

I've heard of having an olive complexion ... this usually happens to people of Mediterranean ancestry.

Is this green patch visible all the time? It could be that the lighting in your bathroom is playing tricks on you ... if you can't see it when you go out into the sunlight.

I have a red patch on the left side of my neck that coincides with the start of my wet-shaving odyssey. No combo of razors or blades or soaps or creams will make it go away, but nothing makes it any worse, either. I still get a great shave in that area. Its not painful, its just red.

I'm also Indian, and I think I know what you're talking about.
I don't personally have very thick growth of facial hair but several men in my family do. They always looked greenish after a shave. It is a combination of the skin colour, thick black hair and the lighting they had in their homes.
The fluorescent tubes that are used in Bombay, for example seem to impart that tinge to the skin. This could be what you're seeing. It's not really a big deal I think. Take a look at yourself in a mirror outdoors.

Welcome to B&B. I believe that what you have is akin to the "Keanu Reeves Blue" shadow. I agree with MajorBurnz that is may well be due to the lighting. I can understand fully that your complexion and the color and consistency of your beard can combine to cause the stubble to appear green. Then again, blue/green color blindness is extemely common in males. It could actually look green to you and blue to everyone else.

Last edited:
Welcome, T!

I agree that it may be much like the "Keanu Reeves blue", even after a close shave. However, if you are here in the US, try replacing your bathroom lighting with "natural daylight" fluorescents (compact bulb size or long tubes) from a big box store like LoweDepot. Look on the package for the color temperature rating of the bulbs. Photographers look for bulbs with a temp. of 3200 degrees Kelvin, which approximates natural daylight. No, these types of bulbs don't cost much. Try that and see if you're still seein' green.

Again, welcome.

Ted

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Like all males of the human species, we are color blind...blue, green, greenish blue, its all the same. I have a similar issue on my upperlip.

Top Bottom