What's new

I now know what a sharper blade feels like....

....But I still can't get a BBS shave without using the Fusion for a final ATG pass.

I ordered an Omega 48 boar from Shoebox Shaveshop, and the vendor threw in 3 sample blades with my order, all of which I had never heard of before: Sputnik, Silver Star, and SuperMax.

I tried the Sputnik in tonight's shave. Up until now I have been using the Wal-Mart Personnas that are dirt cheap and readily available. I'm aware that they are widely considered sub-par, but I kept using them because I resented the fact that DE shaving requires that you spend so much time looking for the perfect tool/blade. And the blades are fine. They never cut me, give decent-enough shaves, but I always have to use the Fusion for the final pass if I want BBS.

Well tonight I found out what a sharp blade is like. The Sputnik didn't cut me, it didn't even nick me, but I could tell instantly that this was a blade that demanded a little more respect. It felt different than what I was used to. Sharper. Harsher. And more hairs appeared in the sink after the first pass than ever before.

I guess my technique over 5 months of DE shaving is good enough because like I said, I didn't get cut or nicked, and I proceeded shaving in my normal manner. I didn't TRY to be extra-careful or go about tentatively. I just kept the sharpness in mind, if you know what I mean.

Three passes...WTG, XTG, and ATG and I use a Merkur 25c open comb, so it's a fairly aggressive set up. But while my cheeks and parts of my jawline were fine, my neck and the areas right under my ears were Brillo pads. Before you ask, yes I've mapped my face. I know how my hair grows. On my neck it follows no rhyme or reason, and after the third pass, my neck began to feel tender. So then I got out the Fusion, did my quick once-over my entire face & neck, and it was fine.

My questions are: (1) I finally have a decently sharp blade, and I STILL can't get a BBS shave with an open-comb DE (which I love FAR more than a safety bar DE)? What the heck is up? And (2) The sharpness of the blade felt kind of rough. Not as butter-smooth. Is this because it was the first time I used it and it will get better next shave? I think I've read something about that but it's a little confusing.

The Sputnik blade was, according to my admittedly narrow frame of reference, a pretty sharp blade. I honestly wouldn't want to try a Feather since it's supposed to be sharper! What's weird though is that even though my face & neck started to feel tender by the 3rd pass, I'm sitting here right now with a WONDERFULLY-smooth face and it feels...uh, a little bit better than usual. Think that's the blade? The blade was the only thing that was different tonight. Even the Floid I splashed on didn't burn anywhere near what I thought it would.

(BTW, I highly recommend Shoebox Shaveshop. Great vendor and FAST shipping! I might get some Yellow & Green 7 o'clock blades next)

You are a prime candidate for a blade sample pack. Sounds like the new blade, a sputnik, was sharp but harsh. Yes the shave will be better the second time around, generally, however the goal is to find a blade that is comfortable on the first shave and then all shaves following. I find that astra's work really well for me but some people don't like them. As always happy shaving and YMMV.

All blades have a different feel. I started with carbon steel, which rust easily, but I didn't like the stainless or platinum. The carbons felt softer, more flexible, thinner, and sharper. Paradoxically, I believe they were, in fact, thicker and less flexible. Unfortunately, they became impossible to find, so I sucked it up with the Wilkinson stainless for years, only because they were available. Recently, they seem to have got worse, so I went looking. The feather DE blades are the closest I've found to that thin, flexible feeling, and they're mighty sharp, although they're not soft like I remember the carbons. (Which I still might try again.) That's a good combination for some people. For others, it can be a disaster. Keep looking.

Hmmm. I just assumed that's what a sharp blade would feel like.

That is what I thought at first. I tried some feathers and Merkur's and found them very sharp and harsh. It was like pulling a knife over your face, not fun. However, I started using astras and really found the shave pleasant. There was not harshness, no pulling or tugging, just a great shave. That should be what you look for, a blade that doesn't feel harsh, but gives the same results. Good luck.

Yeah, Merkurs are harsh little mothers. I tried one once that came free with my first razor. I promptly threw it out.

It was like pulling a knife over your face, not fun.
The Sputnik felt like that. Maybe a little smoother, but yes. I didn't like it. But like I said, the weird thing is that my face feels comfy now and the AS didn't burn at all.

Thanks for the descriptor of what the right blade should feel like though. Shoebox has quite a few different sampler packs I can pick from (but I intend to stay away from the Treets).

People who like sharp blades all seem to like Feathers. I suggest that. It's the only blade I use. It demands some finesse, but with proper preparation and a steady hand they work wonders. Feather is one of the big names in wet shaving and there's a reason for that. Order a pack and give it a try. You won't be disappointed.

Yeah, Merkurs are harsh little mothers. I tried one once that came free with my first razor. I promptly threw it out.

The Sputnik felt like that. Maybe a little smoother, but yes. I didn't like it. But like I said, the weird thing is that my face feels comfy now and the AS didn't burn at all.

Thanks for the descriptor of what the right blade should feel like though. Shoebox has quite a few different sampler packs I can pick from (but I intend to stay away from the Treets).

As trite as this may sound, you will know when you find the right one. I went through a dozen different brands before I found the one that gave me the combination of close and comfortable that I wanted. There were several that were sharp and gave me a very close shave, but my face felt the burn. Others felt comfortable, but just not sharp enough. Sadly, there were plenty that were neither. Once I found the right one, it was obvious.

I'm sure I made the typical newbie mistakes. For me, it was trying too many things too fast. With the variety of products offered, and the yearning to try yet more things after reading certain posts, I had a devil of a time maintaining consistency.
It sounds as though others had the same experience with Merkur blades. You order a Merkur razor and naturally use the enclosed blade. I had also gotten a pack of those blades, so that was the one thing I did keep the same. Changing to another brand of blade was an epiphany!
Perhaps that might be a suggestion for a newbie: start out with a blade other than Merkur!

There are some people ( like me ) we are not destinied to obtain a BBS. But there is always some other way to go, DFS, SAS or maybe .....Wax :lol:

Let's keep trying till our last breath...:lol::lol:

:lol: :lol:

Oh I can GET BBS, I just need to use the Fusion for a 4th ATG pass. It takes care of everything the DE misses.

I'd just like to get BBS with just a DE, which I fear will forever elude me...

Top Bottom