What's new

Best all time scent

Try to find a new scent. Figured I would get a consensus. Seeking something that is unique...all of my peers wear department store brands and they all smell like Aqua Di Gio.

That's a hard one to answer. It all depends on your age, what you like, etc. It' totally subjective. You may want to read the posts and reviews at basenotes.net to get ideas. Good luck.

Basenotes.net is a good source. I recommend you spend some time there and learn about different fragrance categories e.g. chypre, oriental, fougere, and so on. There are a ton of reviews there, but in the end it all comes down to trying things out for yourself. Start with the reviews of the stuff you already like. Basenotes usually gives you a breakdown of the top, middle, and base notes.

Luca Turin's book "Perfumes: The Guide" is a good start too. He and Tania Sanchez give you the basics up front and then review a lot of perfumes. They provide their top lists in the end. I've ordered samples of some of those and was surprised at what I liked and didn't like.

I forgot to add that if it's a favourite cologne you're asking about, Mine is Bois du Portugal by Creed - it's extremely complex and definitely doesn't smell like anything else I've smelled.

Chris

Try to find a new scent. Figured I would get a consensus. Seeking something that is unique...all of my peers wear department store brands and they all smell like Aqua Di Gio.

I find the reviews on B&B to be much more useful than Basenotes.com. If fact basenotes is a reasonable place start to look into what is out there, and what is really popular, but I have found the reviews absolutely useless for finding what I like for some reason.

You will never find a consensus on this forum for what is the "best" scent.

You know, what I would really suggest is dropping Chuck at BadgerDecants a line (hi, Chuck, sorry if I am making work for you that you do not want), get a short dialogue going with him as to how old you are, what you currently like, what you are looking for, etc., and buy a whole bunch of smallish decants from him that he suggests. I find the 1 or 1.5 ml samples from the scent houses nice, if that I get to smell what various things are like, but it is not enough to really see whether a I like a scent on me.

Chuck is great at this. Maybe because as far as I can tell he and I have disagreed on only one scent so far--Penhaligon's Blenheim Bouquet. Actually I guess I am not 100% sure how he feels about Knize Ten.

I probably could not tell you what I think the "best" scent is, or even my favorites, and a couple of months or surely in a year I would say something different. Also, just how "different" did you want? Listening to me could take you farther into "different" than you want to go, but also across an extreme range of costs.

But my favorites right now would be:
Pen's Blenheim (highly controversial),

Knize Ten (powerfully different),

Murray and Lanman Florida Water Cologne (very inexpensive and the scent does not last, but I really like the scent),

Aqua di Parma Cypresso di Toscana (not controversial; very expensive),

Aramis Havana (a bit exotic I guess),

Truefitt & Hill Grafton (old school stuff),

Czech & Speake 88 (modern exotic complex wonderful),

Clubman (very barbershop, very reasonably priced),

Clubman Lilac Vegetal (barber shop as well, very cheap, very controversial; read up on it before you buy)

I also like lots of Bay Rums, but to me they are after shaves and have relatively little staying power, which is fine by me. I like

I find the reviews on B&B to be much more useful than Basenotes.com. If fact basenotes is a reasonable place start to look into what is out there, and what is really popular, but I have found the reviews absolutely useless for finding what I like for some reason.

You will never find a consensus on this forum for what is the "best" scent.

You know, what I would really suggest is dropping Chuck at BadgerDecants a line (hi, Chuck, sorry if I am making work for you that you do not want), get a short dialogue going with him as to how old you are, what you currently like, what you are looking for, etc., and buy a whole bunch of smallish decants from him that he suggests. I find the 1 or 1.5 ml samples from the scent houses nice, if that I get to smell what various things are like, but it is not enough to really see whether a I like a scent on me.

Chuck is great at this. Maybe because as far as I can tell he and I have disagreed on only one scent so far--Penhaligon's Blenheim Bouquet. Actually I guess I am not 100% sure how he feels about Knize Ten.

I probably could not tell you what I think the "best" scent is, or even my favorites, and a couple of months or surely in a year I would say something different. Also, just how "different" did you want? Listening to me could take you farther into "different" than you want to go, but also across an extreme range of costs.

But my favorites right now would be:
Pen's Blenheim (highly controversial),

Knize Ten (powerfully different),

Murray and Lanman Florida Water Cologne (very inexpensive and the scent does not last, but I really like the scent),

Aqua di Parma Cypresso di Toscana (not controversial; very expensive),

Aramis Havana (a bit exotic I guess),

Truefitt & Hill Grafton (old school stuff),

Czech & Speake 88 (modern exotic complex wonderful),

Clubman (very barbershop, very reasonably priced),

Clubman Lilac Vegetal (barber shop as well, very cheap, very controversial; read up on it before you buy)

I also like lots of Bay Rums, but to me they are after shaves and have relatively little staying power, which is fine by me. I like

I have adopted the bolded parts of your list (eschewing the others because I don't have experience with them), and would add TOBS Mr Taylor, Tabac, and Trumper Wild Fern

I have adopted the bolded parts of your list (eschewing the others because I don't have experience with them), and would add TOBS Mr Taylor, Tabac, and Trumper Wild Fern

I am honored, National Razor! And glad to hear you like the LV, too.

C&S will send out a nice sample pack for free for just the effort of sending them an e-mail. Truefitt & Hill has a very reasonably priced sample pack. Too bad Pen's has become so parsimonious with their samples. If you are into this stuff enough to like the K 10, you ought to at least have the opportunity to try some of the controversial legends from Pen's, along with their less controversial stuff, too.

I can't believe I have never tried Tabac or Floris.

Yikes. Best find several...I think it would be tough to find a single scent to match every mood.

If you're looking for something uniquely wonderful, that won't necessarily smell like your AdG-loving buddies, try getting samples from a few different scent houses. Penhaligon's, Floris, Guerlain, Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier, Czech & Speake, Santa Maria Novella, Acqua di Parma...all generally well respected houses that warrant a sniff or two (at least).

Good luck!

I think a good point is to smell the ones you think sound good in reviews then come back and post here about what you did/didn't like about each and we can help point you in the right direction.

It looks as though there is a concensus. Unfortunately it doesn't answer your question. The usual advice in these circumstances is:

Read a few reviews
Get samples or decants or a few that seem promising
Buy full bottles of the ones you like

There really aren't any short cuts - that's what makes this hobby fun (and sometimes expensive!)

I am honored, National Razor! And glad to hear you like the LV, too.

C&S will send out a nice sample pack for free for just the effort of sending them an e-mail. Truefitt & Hill has a very reasonably priced sample pack. Too bad Pen's has become so parsimonious with their samples. If you are into this stuff enough to like the K 10, you ought to at least have the opportunity to try some of the controversial legends from Pen's, along with their less controversial stuff, too.

I can't believe I have never tried Tabac or Floris.

I saw elsewhere that you are an attorney. I am also a member of the bar. The similarities are starting to get eerie.

:eek:

I saw elsewhere that you are an attorney. I am also a member of the bar. The similarities are starting to get eerie.

:eek:

Death penalty cases, apparently from the State's side, judging by your avatar? <g> Just kidding, of course, My Good Colleague.

Lots of parallels, for sure. I suspect there are lots of lawyers on these fora, and I know there are lots of physicians. Maybe something about using one's mind all day long that makes one what to be able to do something competently with one's hands!

Death penalty cases, apparently from the State's side, judging by your avatar? <g> Just kidding, of course, My Good Colleague.

Lots of parallels, for sure. I suspect there are lots of lawyers on these fora, and I know there are lots of physicians. Maybe something about using one's mind all day long that makes one what to be able to do something competently with one's hands!

Interesting theory. Mostly I'm just bored at work and need something to obsess over. :wink:

Yikes. Best find several...I think it would be tough to find a single scent to match every mood.

If you're looking for something uniquely wonderful, that won't necessarily smell like your AdG-loving buddies, try getting samples from a few different scent houses. Penhaligon's, Floris, Guerlain, Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier, Czech & Speake, Santa Maria Novella, Acqua di Parma...all generally well respected houses that warrant a sniff or two (at least).

Excellent suggestion. Aedes de Venustas will send you seven sample scent vials of your choice for "free," as long as you cough up the $15 for shipping. Actually, it's a very good deal, considering the breadth of their selection, and that you can get them quickly and easily, all in one place. Even better is if you can decide on a fragrance you want before ordering samples, they will send you seven of your choice with your order at no additional charge.

Everybody has good points about te subjectivity of scent. I'm a young guy, so I was expecting to not like Creed, thinking that it would be too old-man. All of the Creed colognes that I smelled at Neiman Marcus were great. They ALL smelled great. Santal was my favorite. And trust me, I do not have old man tastes. I don't even like the beloved Speick and Aqua Di Parma, because they smell old-man to me.
Hmm...just realized that I'm somewhat arbitrarily assuming you're young. Maybe it's the reference to Aqua di Gio.
I think Trumper's Limes smells like rubbing alcohol, and I think Floris Elite and Tabac are some of the most vile smelling lines of products of I've ever smelled.
Those are my opinions since you asked. Anything by Creed is a big thumbs up, but since it's very expensive (200 bucks a bottle), I didn't buy it.

Top Bottom