What's new

New to Wet Shaving: Sensor vs. Trac II vs. Atra

Just thought I would introduce myself.

I am new to wet shaving as of this week.

I have tried a little bit of everything, in terms of cartridge razors:

I think I used a cheap disposable for quite some time. Then I had transferred over to the Gillette Fusion in both Manual, and Power modes. I purchased one 4 pack of blade refills, and then said enough is enough. They are too expensive for my budget.

I then used a 3 blade powered razor I found at Family Dollar. It is probably manufactured by ASR/ Personna. For the price, it did a really nice job.

I really started to wonder if all of the extra blades were necessary, so after much searching I found a Sensor Excel handle locally. I was amazed to find that the shave quality was as good, if not better than the Fusion!!

I then found a Mach 3 Turbo Champion for $2.50 at an Mennonite Discount Store. It shaved really well, but no better than the Sensor Excel.

I think I then got a case of AD, and started wondering if the other two bladed razors were any better. That brought me to Badger, and Blade.

I still have a few Sensor carts, but also just bought a Bump Fighter handle, with a 10 pack of Gillette Trac II Plus. I have a Gillette Vector being shipped from Singapore, which should be here next week. (with 15 carts..lol).

My present wet shave setup consists of a VDH set, with the deluxe soap, boar bush, and a green/ black bowl. I am still obviously learning proper lather technique, but I can see how wet shaving can be a ton of fun.

I am not ready to go full out Double Edge, so I will likely buy a fancy all metal handle once I decide between the Sensor/ Atra/ Trac II.

Welcome to B&B. Like the previous two posters said, it is inevitable. Eventually, you'll be assimilated into the ranks of a DE shaver and wonder how you did it for years without your old Gillette, or your shiny Merkur or Muhle. Either way, we're glad to have you!

You've already begun that walk down the long and winding road. Jump on in, the water's fine! You're gonna love it! Come on in and have fun with the rest of us! Welcome! :thumbup:

Wait a minute, did you say Fusion, Excel, Atra, Sensor........ Oh My!!! :ohmy:
Please don't tell anyone here you heard me use those words. Last time, I got my mouth washed out!

Last edited:
I occasionally use the Bump Fighter handle with the Personna Trac II clone blades. In my opinion, cartridge razor development should have ended with the Trac II. It gives a great shave. Plus, those Personna blades are only $3.50 for 10, so they won't break the bank. They also don't have any of the "lubricating" strip nonsense. Having said that, DE and SE shaving is a much more satisfying shaving experience.

it's ok michiganlover, I'll talk to you about cartridges.

I use TracII and Atra.

The Atra for over 15 years.

I just started with the TracII a few months ago. Love it. Requires more attention to get the angle right.

it's ok michiganlover, I'll talk to you about cartridges.

I use TracII and Atra.

The Atra for over 15 years.

I just started with the TracII a few months ago. Love it. Requires more attention to get the angle right.

I tried the Trac II for the first time today. I thought it would be crappy, since it lacks a pivoting head, but it was surprisingly a really comfortable shave. I didn't seem to have many issues getting the angle right. :smile:

I like that it makes noise as you shave with it...lol...Mach 3's, and Fusions are totally quiet...lol.

I tried the Trac II for the first time today. I thought it would be crappy, since it lacks a pivoting head, but it was surprisingly a really comfortable shave. I didn't seem to have many issues getting the angle right. :smile:

I like that it makes noise as you shave with it...lol...Mach 3's, and Fusions are totally quiet...lol.

If you want to hear noise, a nice deep throated growl, you will love shaving with a 39C Slant, a 12C Open Comb, or a Futur.

Welcome!

All I can say is the longer you delay going Double Edge, the longer you will regret not doing so any sooner.

Welcome to B&B michiganlover. Unlike DunEdinRanger, I believe that it is YOU who must decide whether or not DE shaving is for you. Here's how you can find out.

1. Buy yourself a DE razor. I suggest a Muhle-Pinsel R89 which you can find here http://www.muehle-shaving.com/shop/classic/razors/1/safety_razor/77/8/R_89 or here http://www.fendrihan.com/muhle-safety-razor-p-569.html?currency=USD . Some folks may suggest a Merkur razor over a Muhle, but I think the Muhle is less aggressive than a Merkur, thus giving a more comfortable shave. I use a Muhle and I still get a BBS shave with it after two passes.

2. Buy yourself a blade sampler pack. I suggest you buy http://westcoastshaving.com/index.p...s_id=2&zenid=8d886668ae23508d969cb25f6670fbd4 It contains a total of 50 blades which will give you about 200-250 shaves.

If, after 200-250 shaves with your DE, you decide that it's not for you, go back to whatever cartridge razor you like best and enjoy your shaves. As for your DE, you can sell it on the B&B Shaving Mall.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Welcome to B&B.

Until you get a DE, I would use as few blades as possible. Both the Sensor and Trac II cartridges will give you good shaves with less irritation than the monsters. Use which ever one feels most comfortable. My favorite cartridge was the Schick FX Diamond, which is no longer available in the U.S.

I shaved with the all metal Gillette Atra for more than 20nyears and foud it most reliable. On ocassions when I am short on time I will use it with my bowl and brush set and I still get a close shave. If you can find one you might really enjoy it. I do agree with other posts however; try using a DE, Tech or Superspeed, at least a couple of times to see the difference.

I occasionally use the Bump Fighter handle with the Personna Trac II clone blades. In my opinion, cartridge razor development should have ended with the Trac II. It gives a great shave. Plus, those Personna blades are only $3.50 for 10, so they won't break the bank. They also don't have any of the "lubricating" strip nonsense. Having said that, DE and SE shaving is a much more satisfying shaving experience.

I always wondered why they put the strip at the top of the razor instead of the bottom leading up to the blades... :confused:

Welcome!

All I can say is the longer you delay going Double Edge, the longer you will regret not doing so any sooner.

+ however many it's up to now. :biggrin: Remember, resistance is futile, and the AD's will eventually set in...

I used a Sensor for a number of years, then went to a Mach 3 after spending sometime with a Norelco electric, getting the occasional nick, cut or ingrown hair with the cartridge razors, at last discovering DE shaving via buying a brush and bowl first then getting the DE bug. At one point I ran out of mach 3 cartridges temporarily and went back to the Sensor for a couple of shaves, and shredded my face. Now, six weeks or so into DE shaving, I've nicked myself once, and I'm getting the best shaves of my life...

The cool thing about wet shaving is that it isn't a competition, and you're free to do what works the best for you, whether it be DE or cartridge...

PS Welcome!

Top Bottom