What's new

Date code

W

willist

I'm very new to DE shaving [well almost I shaved with a Gillette DE back in the 60's] Anyway I recently got back into it and its quickly become a hobby also. My question is what year is the code [on a Gillette] A 2 ? Its my first purchase after getting my brand new Merkur. BTW it shaves great.

W

willist

I'm not sure of the model, but its not adjustable and the base of the handle is blue. Also the plastic case has a clear top and light blue bottom, all though I don't know if its the original case.

I'm not sure of the model, but its not adjustable and the base of the handle is blue. Also the plastic case has a clear top and light blue bottom, all though I don't know if its the original case.

Sounds like a '50s Super Speed. I can't remember for sure, but I think the blue base means it was the least aggressive model, red and black being more aggressive (I could be entirely wrong on the color codes). According the the Gillette dating site, the colored handle bases began in 1954, and an "A" would make yours a 1955, with the "2" indicating it was made in the second quarter of that year.

http://www.geocities.com/safetyrazors/gil_ser2.htm

Top Bottom