What's new

Razor for moustache/goatee? - Futur issues.

And don't just tell me to shave it off :smile:

I'm new to B&B but not DE shaving. I used a Vision, mostly with Feathers for the last 2 years until it was stolen and just replaced it with the Futur,. So far so good,. My problem with the Futur is that I now have a "detailed" goatee and moustache - The Vision wasn't great for this due to the large head. I knew the Futur would be a challenge as well but I wasn't prepared for the overhang on the ends due to the way the blade holder attaches. This is actually worse than the Vision which did not have this overhang. I'm using a Schick disposable which has a very small head to do a bit of cleanup inside the Goatee area and just under the nose above the moustache. I'd like to be a DE purist and I'm wondering what the best DE is for this kind of detail or if anyone has another suggestion re single blade. I'm not crazy about the idea of the Merkur moustache razor.

Thanks!

Chris

I own, and used, the Merkur mustache razor when I sported a beard and found it to be perfectly suited for its intended purpose even with the mediocre Merkur blades.

If you are dead-set against the Merkur, however, a Gillette Tech may work as it has a relatively thin profile and should be easier to maneuver in tight places.

I sport a mustache and goatee, although they are not joined so I may not be calling it what it is supposed to called ... that has always confused me, While I don't have the issues that you do using my DE, I sometimes use a BIC disposable for fine work around the edges. Either a BIC Metal or Sensitive have really slim heads. Maybe pick up a pack of those. If you limit the use to just the fine work, they may last you quite a while, and the blades are very good IMHO.

+1 on the Tech.

I have a goatee and sideburns that I like to keep short and straight. I use an Andis electric clipper to groom them. It's a fairly expensive clipper, but it gets nice and close if you keep the blade adjusted. When i want to get down to BBS in the tight spots I use a Tech. The low profile works well there.

I'm also on board with the Tech being a solid performer in tight spots. The NEW is also good, but you must take care not to get hairs that you want to keep between the combs. It will remove them too.:blushing:

A good old single or double ring old style - excellent fit for me. They had it right the first time, but patent expiry and competition led to the never ending design changes. Load one up and give it a shot!

Thanks Guys, I'll keep an eye out for a Tech and in the meantime keep using the disposable which does a decent job - but it's plastic!

Chris

Ok Ill be the one to say it...

Use a Straight... :)

this is in jest of course but also in seriousness. I can keep very straight lines on my foomanchu (is that what it is called when the goatee and mustache conect..i dont know.)

I own, and used, the Merkur mustache razor when I sported a beard and found it to be perfectly suited for its intended purpose even with the mediocre Merkur blades.

If you are dead-set against the Merkur, however, a Gillette Tech may work as it has a relatively thin profile and should be easier to maneuver in tight places.

If it wasn't for the Merkur blades, it would be an excellent choice. Unfortunately, the Merkur blades, and no other option, make the Mustache Razor more of a novelty. It's too bad. It's got massive potential. I've got a DE hone that I've gotta figure out how to use so I can maybe make this thing usable.

I have a very detailed Goatee/Mustache and my Merkur HD seems to work well.

I've used a Tech and while it fits in tight spots, I didn't like shaving the rest of my face with it and I didn't want to use two razors for my shave. The large head on a Super Speed made that a non-option for me.

Top Bottom