What's new

Hello all from Quebec Canada!

Newbie wet shaver here to ask you all for some help!

I'm 18, not quite a daily shaver, but that's also the fault of the freakin' expensive cartridge blades!

Looking to buying from www.fendrihan.com since I live in Quebec and have made a short list of things that from research, I think should be ok for a beginner setup.

DE Razor

I took into consideration the Merkur HD of course, since it is looked upon as the god of beginner razors. But then I realized that people have said things about it being a little on the small side for those with *bigger* hands. Well I probably fall into this category as my hands are pretty darn big. So I figured I'd spring for the bigger brother, the 38C or Barber-pole razor.
http://www.fendrihan.com/merkur-blue-handle-classic-safety-razor-p-215.html

Shaving Brush

This was a piece of cake. The EJ (CE) Best Badger. Bargain for it's price, and what it offers; can't beat it!
http://www.fendrihan.com/edwin-jagger-best-badger-shaving-brush-medium-ebony-p-239.html

Pre-post shaving prep

Here I guess it depends on the person on how they prep, but I have seen that it's a good idea to put a pre-shaving creme on your face before you get into the shower to soften your beard up even more. So I saw the proraso stuff being recommended and figured why not. If no objections then this is what I'll take. http://www.fendrihan.com/proraso-prepost-shaving-cream-p-368.html

Shaving Soap/Creme

Now here is where I'm a little stuck. I don't know whether or not to go creme or soap. I have heard the good and bad, but still, I am stuck. The one big thing that needs to stick out is how long it lasts, and the scent of course :p I have seen many people recommending the DR Harris Arlington, so if there are no objections I'll get that:p.
http://www.fendrihan.com/harris-arlington-shaving-soap-mahogany-bowl-p-554.html

After-shave/balm

I already have some of this at home, it's called Aqua-Velva. Though if you guys have any recommendations for what to buy when this runs out, let me have them! :)

Blades

On the fendrihan site their sampler packs to me are a little expensive. I know that people have said to buy from West Coast Shaving or Razor and Brush since their samplers are inexpensive, but they have so many choices...what choose?!? :p

Other then that I was just going to get a good shaving mug and I think that's it!

Any opinions/critiques/whatever are welcomed!

Thanks

Wes

Hello fellow Canuck and welcome to B&B!

Fendrihan.com is great.
A Merkur HD makes for a great starter razor.
I use the EJ Best Badger, and I love it. You will not be disappointed.
The general consensus on B&B is that Aqua Velva is fantastic: works, cheap, easy to find.

When it comes to creams/soaps, you should get in touch with Alfred, the gentleman who runs Fendrihan--you can contact him via Fendrihan's website.
I'm sure he will steer you in the right direction.

I will suggest, however, TOBS (Avacado or Almond) or Proraso as two creams you should consider when starting out.

Last edited:
Yes lots of great info! You can go crazy with all of it :p.

I'm located just outside of Quebec City, in Charlesbourg!

@ Gatsby, I will contact Alfred right away! Thanks for the help.

Welcome to B&B!!! I like your setup. The only thing I would recommend is trying a shaving cream and a soap. Perhaps a shaving soap stick of DR Harris Arlington and the $5 green tube from Bath and Body Works (do they have those in Canada?). Musgo Real is another awesome cream. Remember not to use too much pressure and to keep us updated.

Welcome!

The Merkur HD and the EJ BBB are great choices for a beginner. Get some of the Taylor of Old Bond Street shaving cream. It's inexpensive and easy to lather.

Yes lots of great info! You can go crazy with all of it :p.

I'm located just outside of Quebec City, in Charlesbourg!

@ Gatsby, I will contact Alfred right away! Thanks for the help.

You're welcome. Keep in touch; let us know how you're doing.

Welcome to B&B from New-Brunswick !

I picked up the same EJ brush , you will be very happy to own this one. I also love Fendrihan , great items and a great service.

Just wanted to say "hello"
I'm in Montreal also, and Frendrihan is a great place to start. I've used this site many times.

Anthony :)

Top Bottom