What's new

How long do cold germs live?

I have been sick for the past couple of days. Today is the first day I felt better. Yesterday was my worst day. I have just a common viral cold.

I have been on the couch for the past couple of days.
How long do the germs live on the couch?
When can someone sit there safely?

I searched the internet but only came up with the one same response. I just wanted to see other opinions:

The length of time that cold or flu germs can survive outside the body on an environmental surface, such as a doorknob, varies greatly. But the suspected range is from a few seconds to 48 hours — depending on the specific virus and the type of surface.

Flu viruses tend to live longer on surfaces than cold viruses do. Also, it's generally believed that cold and flu viruses live longer on nonporous surfaces — such as plastic, metal or wood — than they do on porous surfaces — such as fabrics, skin or paper.

It's extremely unlikely that someone in your household hasn't already been exposed to the same virus that's infected you, regardless of whether or not they've sat on your couch. I woudn't worry too much about it.

The Oligodynamic effect (clickable) shows that many types of metal surfaces will kill germs/mold and fungus quickly.

This is why all my doorknobs are brass
I am also starting to see band-aid brand band aids in stores with silver in the bandage.

They last for roughly three eternities. You had better throw the couch out. :biggrin1: Honestly, I wouldn't worry about something like that. I would highly doubt that avoiding a couch would help prevent illness. I guess I have no real answer to your question, but instead, I say don't worry.

Dunno but I imagine the info you seek is out there on the 'net somewhere. I think the 'new' flu (H1N1) is supposed to last anywhere from 2- 8 hours on surfaces. Not sure about other viruses or bacteria. :confused:

How long do cold germs live?

Probably not as long as hot ones. :biggrin:

Anyway, I wouldn't worry. I'd wonder if you're even contageous at this stage.

The most important thing to do is wash your hands. Teach kids to slowly sing the ABC song as they lather soap on their hands and wash them often. I wouldn't worry about your couch.
Sue

Better drag the couch outside and burn it.:biggrin:
Just kidding. Don't worry about it, besides you now have some antibodies swimin around in your blood.

Top Bottom