What's new

How do you decide which scent to use at a particular time?

Whatever looks good at the time. I sometimes think ahead a little bit - don't usually douse myself in #88 right before going on a transatlantic flight for instance.

+1 re whim re scent. If it is depressing out, I actually tend to go with a lavander often. Lavander is supposed to uplift one's mood, and I find it does.

Re shaving soaps/creams, for some reason I seem to use the same one every day in a row for quite a while and them shift to something else. I think there is a little bit of a learning curve in getting the lather just right.

AS is always Superior 70 and/or witch hazel, but I always apply a balm of some sort and that varies widely.

With bath soaps i seem to pick one and use it for a long time, then shift to something else, often because i have just bought it. Mysore brand sandalwood was the one I used for a very long time. Recently it has been one of the Nancy Boy bath soaps.

I post it here because it applies to soaps, creams, AS, EDT, bath soaps, ...

For our bath soaps (we just purchased all the Porto Claus soaps because we couldn't decide on the scents and to profit from the free shipping), we devided the scents as male and female. (9 for me and 10 for my wife).
Then we divided our parts in autumn/winter soaps and spring/summer soaps.
So my wife and I use both 4 soaps in rotation now (routine is boring, no?).

Now I'm planning to do this with my shaving soaps as well. I have around 15 soaps at this moment and 3 more on the way (and it won't stop there).
I have a preference to the more lighter and/or floral scents at this time of the year and will be using the heavier scents during autumn/winter with the exception of the very moisterizing soaps which I will be using whole year.

How do you guys decide what to use on a particular day?
Impulsive?
Fixed rotation?

I do like this question! For me, it usually depends on what I plan to wear for that day, and especially what the weather is supposed to do. For example, on a nice sunny day when I plan on wearing a nice blue dress shirt, I may very well go with MPG Iris Bleu Gris. Today is gray and snowy, I'm wearing some nice gray tones, and I went with L'Artisan Timbuktu to add some color and warmth.

The only product I select based on scent for it's aesthetics is cologne, but I think I'm a fairly rare exception. My face is pretty sensitive to any soap or cream that has fragrance in it, so I use mostly unscented versions, with a few exceptions that don't seem to irritate. Same is true for aftershaves and mositurizers. And I really like Pre de Provence Milk soap for showering for it's ease of rinsing and it's moisturizing.

For colognes, I usually consider what I'm going to be doing, who I'll be with, whether we'll be inside in close quarters or outdoors, and the weather, and then I make a selection that usually doesn't include what I wore the previous day. All of this is more like a fleeting thought, it's not a long process.

Also, I still have a lot of samples to try, that I wait for days when there won't be as many distractions so I can pay more attention to what they are doing throughout the day.

I have to tell on myself, though. Today I have a meeting with someone who has been a bit antagonistic in the past, so I picked Parfum d'Habit for it's touch of animalic "dirtiness". But now I realize that by the time we meet, it looks like it's going to have settled into it's very pleasant dry-down. But I did have that thought in the selection. :blushing:

Last edited:
Top Bottom