What's new

What the Heck?!

Hey guys, just got into wetshaving a few weeks ago. bought a horn-handle razor at Art of Shaving (he gave me a good deal on it), and promptly got rid of the merkur blades that came with it since they cut me up something awful. after a day or so of the razor sitting after being rinsed after a shave, an orangy rust-colored substance accrues on the blade and the razor's head and comb. pic included below.

What's the residue? and did i get a good razor? paid 75 for it, salesman told me it retailed for 150, but it was the display model.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Sorry Im too new at this to comment on the quality of the DE. But as the blades are biodegradable (they will rust away) it appears the process has started a little quicker than you would want, it doesnt appear that the razor is rusting just the blade. Your water maybe slightly acidic or you have high humidity?

It doesn't look like rust to me. Have you done anything to see if it rinses off?

Rusting on that scale doesn't occur that quickly unless your water has loads of electrolytes/acids mixed in it.

I agree- I wouldn't think it would rust within a day but...

are you sure you rinsed that thing well enough? To me this thing looks like it was put away without cleaning it at all (look at all the stubble). My guess is go with the simplest solution- looks like your blade is rusting. The residue should wipe off of your razor- just chuck that blade and use a new one. I like to wash and dry my razor (carefully around that blade) after each use- it's 6 months old and looks like it did out of the box. I can't imagine that this is a problem with the actual razor- I've never seen chrome rust. My metal sciences is a little rusty (pardon the pun), but I think the chromium in the metal is pretty decent at stopping rust. I think that's what they add to steel to make it stainless steel. Someone wiser will obviously correct me.

It looks like you need to keep your razor a bit cleaner/dryer. When I am done shaving, I give my razor a realy good swish around in the sink and a quick rince with water. I keep a jar of rubbing alcohol with my shaving eqipment with just enough in it to cover the head of my razor. I let it soak while i clean the sink ect., It helps evacuate the water and further cleans off residues etc.

Try that, It looks like you razor had a good bit of water in it durring storage. Make sure you leave it in a position that alows the water to drain instead of pool if you dont do the alcohol thing.

As for the razor being a good deal, I have no idea what should be charged for the handle material. Most of my razors were under 20$ used. My Progress was the most expencive @ 45ish.

Last edited:
I agree- I wouldn't think it would rust within a day but...

are you sure you rinsed that thing well enough? To me this thing looks like it was put away without cleaning it at all (look at all the stubble). My guess is go with the simplest solution- looks like your blade is rusting. The residue should wipe off of your razor- just chuck that blade and use a new one. I like to wash and dry my razor (carefully around that blade) after each use- it's 6 months old and looks like it did out of the box. I can't imagine that this is a problem with the actual razor- I've never seen chrome rust. My metal sciences is a little rusty (pardon the pun), but I think the chromium in the metal is pretty decent at stopping rust. I think that's what they add to steel to make it stainless steel. Someone wiser will obviously correct me.

+1

Take good care of your razor and your face will thank you :smile:

I sure looks like rust to me. I'm thinking it's the blade and not the razor.

While I agree that it does look like rust, I find it hard to believe that a brand new blade would begin rusting like that after one day.

Was the same thing happening with the Merkur blades? Or is this something that has started with these unidentifiable replacement blades?

I'm leaning with those who are advocating a more thorough rinsing/cleaning regime after each shave.

While I agree that it does look like rust, I find it hard to believe that a brand new blade would begin rusting like that after one day.

Was the same thing happening with the Merkur blades? Or is this something that has started with these unidentifiable replacement blades?

I'm leaning with those who are advocating a more thorough rinsing/cleaning regime after each shave.

What kind of blade is that?

i was in a pinch and threw out the merkur blades, so i went to waldbaums and bought a pack of america's choice blades to hold me over til the sampler pack i bought from WCS came. It did happen with the merkur blades, but not as quickly. i may have rinsed off the merkur blades better. I was in a bit of a rush (friday morning) and looked again at the razor sunday morning and saw it. I'm going to shower now, i'll shave, rinse the blade again (i think today i'll use an astra superior platinum from hungary).

Thanks for the help fellas!

Top Bottom