What's new

Adding Glycerin

I added some glycerin to some common alcohol *** and it dissolved well. The resulting AS is a tad bit more moisturizing now. If you want to try this, pick some up your local drug store. Don't add too much or your AS will become soapy.

forgive me for asking but I'm trying to learn some things. Did you do that to make your own aftershave because of the alcohol? Wouldn't that burn the skin with that high of content of alcohol?

What's common alcohol "AS"?

Generally speaking, there are two types of pure liquid aftershave: alcohol splashes and alcohol free toner such as witch haze, aloe vera, etc. Many splashes contain a myriad of "healing" ingredients such as aloe, alum, alltoin, menthol, jojoba oil, etc. Many like alcohol splashes. They contain various types and concentrations of alcohol. I would like to make my own, but I have no idea how. I just add menthol crystals, glycerin, and other ingredients to improve the aftershave.

What do you typically add to a 100ml bottle of purely alcohol based AS? And how much is too much?

I've been thinking about how great it would be to take the Vi-Jon knockoff Old Spice and add some witchhazel and glycerin, but I'm afraid I'll ruin it. I guess it doesn't matter, the stuff's super cheap anyway. I'm also thinking some menthol would be nice in the knock-off Brut.

It would be so great to have the power of Speick or Proraso splash in many different or classic scents.

Maybe about a teaspoon or so of glycerin. Too much will make it slimy. Menthol crystals work great. They will only dissolve in alcohol or hot water though. I have mentholated Brut and vintage OS. Start small because you can't take menthol back. If you use to much, you can make a skin burning, eye burning, nostril burning mess.

What do you typically add to a 100ml bottle of purely alcohol based AS? And how much is too much?

I've been thinking about how great it would be to take the Vi-Jon knockoff Old Spice and add some witchhazel and glycerin, but I'm afraid I'll ruin it. I guess it doesn't matter, the stuff's super cheap anyway. I'm also thinking some menthol would be nice in the knock-off Brut.

It would be so great to have the power of Speick or Proraso splash in many different or classic scents.

Glycerin is also water soluble but not to as great an extent as alcohol. So you could add it to witchazel.

I've been thinking about how great it would be to take the Vi-Jon knockoff Old Spice and add some witchhazel and glycerin...

That's what I'm using ATM. I added 15 drops of glycerine to a bottle of Vi-Jon Old Spice and it's about perfect for me. I'd say start with 10 drops and work up from there.

forgive me for asking but I'm trying to learn some things. Did you do that to make your own aftershave because of the alcohol? Wouldn't that burn the skin with that high of content of alcohol?

What's common alcohol "AS"?

"AS" is an abbreviation for aftershave. He meant he took a bottle of some cheap, alcohol-based aftershave (for instance, Old Spice) and added glycerin to make it more moisturizing.

NOTE: you don't need to do this with Aqua Velva. It already has glycerin. And for the price, it's very nearly the pefect aftershave.

I added some glycerin to some common alcohol *** and it dissolved well. The resulting AS is a tad bit more moisturizing now. If you want to try this, pick some up your local drug store. Don't add too much or your AS will become soapy.

If you like glycerin in your AS you might want to consider MASTERS brand AS.

Most of their AS have glycerin in them.

David

Menthol crystals work great. They will only dissolve in alcohol or hot water though.

Menthol Crystals are only soluble in alcohol and oils.
Melting Point: 42 - 44oC (107 – 111oF)

Usage rate is :
• Lotions & Creams: 0.5-1%
• Tingling Ointments: 2-5%
A little goes a very long way so your better off starting very small and working up.

Thanks for letting me know what AS is.... i was wondering about that !!!
What about making your own from scratch instead of doctoring a ready made product?

Top Bottom