What's new

Strange Gillette

I saw a razor at a garage sale that was a three piece Gillette with a square handle (all metal). There was fancy ingraving on it too. What is it? Is it rare? The house is right down the street so I do have access to it.

I saw a razor at a garage sale that was a three piece Gillette with a square handle (all metal). There was fancy ingraving on it too. What is it? Is it rare? The house is right down the street so I do have access to it.

You didn't buy it? I would like to see a picture.

Aww man, no pictures?? If Guido wants a picture then I do as well, if he is stumped then it must be rare. I await with bated breath! :wink:

I passed because I sort of have been going crazy with Coleman lanterns. I went to the person's house, and she said she would get it for me. It has four sides, and what looked like a gillette tech head. If I remember correctly, it had the Gillette diamond on the underneath. The tip of the razor was rounded. Price- you are going to kill me $2.00. I was out of money, but I will get this razor. I am wondering if it is some sort of Frankenstien razor. I would not have passed if it looked like a normal Gillette, and I am familiar with the various textures they have. The engraving looked like vines.

I passed because I sort of have been going crazy with Coleman lanterns. I went to the person's house, and she said she would get it for me. It has four sides, and what looked like a gillette tech head. If I remember correctly, it had the Gillette diamond on the underneath. The tip of the razor was rounded. Price- you are going to kill me $2.00. I was out of money, but I will get this razor. I am wondering if it is some sort of Frankenstien razor. I would not have passed if it looked like a normal Gillette, and I am familiar with the various textures they have. The engraving looked like vines.

chances are it is worth more than $2 even if it is a Frankenstein razor.

I just saw a razor on B&B, I think, that had a handle like you mention. I can't for the life of me remember who made it, though. I thought it was Star, but I don't think they made anything with a square handle.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Mmm, I am not sure if it's a star... Thanks to Darjeeling Express see Star below...
attachment.php

here's one. I have a brass one, the handle is square. If I remember The Button Company made them for Gillette.

Attachments

• $PICT0004-1.jpg
    $PICT0004-1.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 279
That is it. This razor was not an open comb, and the tip plain, smooth-but that is exactly right on the 'vines'.

I am thinking it was a tech head, but this razor was stainless. I'll get it, and post some good pictures. I promise.

The Coleman Lantern company used left-over parts so you have many different things showing up that perhaps should not be. The 75th aniversary (275) was the same fount(base) as the Sears used in the 60's-no waste, use what was on hand.

Update: I went to the massive garage sale 2 more times and today I got the razor. It is NOT a Gillette, but rather a SE Ever-Ready. The vines are chain links. The other razor is some kind of Tech. It has a large handle. Both are boiling now. I will upload pictures after they cool and I hit them with Mothers Mag Wheel Polish.

Both razors were $2 each.

So....boiling is not good? I take an old electric toothbush that really gets into crevices well AFTER letting them soak in scrubbing bubbles, and then I boil for about 3 minutes and let cool in the water. I know Gold plated is not to be boiled, but with Hepititus, Aids, whatever, I go for the boil.

Top Bottom