What's new

Gillette New -Long Tooth VS Short Tooth Version

I have not heard much about the long-toothed version of the Gillette New. Compared to its short tooth sibling, how does it shave? Is it more or less aggressive?

I found the long toothed New to be slightly more aggressive than the short version, both US made ones. The long toothed British then more aggressive than the former two. I have not tried a short toothed British New (not even sure if there are any).

I am looking forward to trying it out. If it is much more aggressive than the short tooth version you may be seeing a long-tooth on the B/S/T before too long.:a11:

I'll do some tomorrow. I have both long- and short tooth US ones and a long tooth Brit. one. I do not recall ever having seen a short tooth Brit. NEW.

Regards.

Jakob

And here is a comparison between a American ball end NEW and a British ball end NEW ... both long toothed. The Brit is on the right in nickel. Notice the difference in handle length. Also, the British versions were not as susceptible to cracking as were the American ball ends.

proxy.php

proxy.php

I found the long toothed New to be slightly more aggressive than the short version, both US made ones. The long toothed British then more aggressive than the former two. I have not tried a short toothed British New (not even sure if there are any).

Agreed!!!

I was going to link to the same pictures that Darjeeling and AG have posted, I never took any of my own :redface:.

Incidentally, the one British AG pictured, is the same one I had a go at; they are very well made indeed, just a bit too aggressive for my taste.

It turned out that the Long-Tooth New that was advertised was actually a short-toothed New so I will have to wait to compare the two myself. :shaving:

I have the USA long tooth version and it is a fine shaver, I find it really gets close with minimal irritation. I should sell it as I don't use it that often but I find it hard to part with, gratuitous pic

proxy.php

I have the USA long tooth version and it is a fine shaver, I find it really gets close with minimal irritation. I should sell it as I don't use it that often but I find it hard to part with, gratuitous pic

proxy.php

A little tip. Never sell a razor if it is the only one of a type that you have. You'll never know when you may want to use it again.

Most of my shaves for the past 2 mos or so have been with a gold-plated long-tooth New, bar handle. It has a few flakes of plating missing on the cap, but shaves great. I have another gold-plated long-tooth New, with the ball end handle in an original cardboard box, that appears to be unused. I haven't used it yet, thinking of selling or trading it.

I also just got a Canadian common bar handled short-tooth New that's sort of interesting. The handle's neck, and the bottom plate of the top, appear to have still-nice bright gold plating. The cap & handle itself both appear to be *copper*, not brass- maybe copper plating over brass? The handle looks like the gold may have just worn off, but the cap has no traces of gold plate anywhere, including its underside- was the razor sold originally as a "two-tone"? It just seems that a trace ot two of gold plate would still show on the cap underside.:confused:

Now if I could just find a New Deluxe with the thick bottom plate.:biggrin:

Top Bottom