What's new

What do YOU eat for breakfast?

I'm looking for new breakfast ideas. For the last few years my usual "gourmet" breakfast is a shake, consisting of Carnation Instant Breakfast Mix (chocolate), Trader Joe's Whey Protein, and a coffee flavor mix from International House of Foods, and milk, all mixed in my Magic Bullet blender :001_wub:.

Anyway, I decided I wanted something a bit more nutritious. I occasionally have a bowl of cereal or a bagel with cream cheese, but those are getting old too.

So what do YOU eat for breakfast?

Breakfast around here can be just about anything from your classic breakfast items like eggs, waffles, pancakes, toast and the like or cold pizza, crutons on toast and on and on. This morning just happened to be sliced cucumbers on warm biscuits and a side of NY Strip....

Eggs and toast are quick and easy to make. An omelet can be whipped up pretty fast as well and you can add in great topping/fillings to it that are good and healthy. You can even skip the cheese on it if it's a concern for you.

One of my favorites is to whip up and egg like you would for scrambled then let them cook like a fried egg and flip. Once both sides are cooked slide it on a piece of toast that has a dollop of ketchup and a dash or three of hot pepper sauce spread out. Salsa could also be used. It's quick and easy and good. At least to me.......

I eat a lot of Scotch oats(steel cut), and fried eggs and toast. Over the last few years I have developed an insatiable taste for the bitterest of British marmalade. Frank Cooper's Vintage is my favourite. Spread on a toasted muffin and watch out. I also enjoy pancakes and waffles but only of batter we have made from scratch. After experimenting around various recipes picked up on the web, there is simply nothing in a box that comes even remotely close to what you can make at home. BTW, take care of pancake batter. It is more delicate than you think. Measure carefully, do not over mix, and keep the temperature at or under 350F on the griddle. As an aside, at times we substitute an ounce or so of Amaretto for the milk and it makes a smashing good pancake. It takes some experimentation but it is worth it. Now, breakfast on the road, when someone else is paying? All of it is good then.

Regards, Todd

weekends: Pancakes or French Toast, scambled eggs w/cheese, bacon, OJ
spring/summer weekdays: cornflakes w/ bananas and Silk soy milk
or 2 Kashi Blackberry bars and apple/orange
winter/fall weekdays: oatmeal
oatmeal recipe:
1 packet of strawberry quaker oats oatmeal
1 packet of whole grain cranberry oatmeal
3 tbs wheat germ
3 tbs milled flaxseed

Edit: excellent thread by the way. I hope to get some ideas here

It depends on what I'm doing that day. This morning, being a Sunday, I scrambled a couple of eggs and fried a couple of pieces of Jimmy Dean Hot Pork Sausage. Bread was two pieces of whole wheat toast with spread butter. Orange juice and a large cup of hot, caffinated black coffee rounded it out.

Tomorrow I have a client meeting so I'll probably grab a bowl of Honey Nut Cheerios with some Silk Milk.

On a few weekends, I make my own pancakes and once in a while I'll do Belgium waffles. I also make coffee cakes with brown sugar topping, blueberry muffins, and cinnimon buns with a sugar glaze icing.

Some other meats I use as a side with eggs (scrambled, over easy, poached, etc.) are Taylor Ham (made in Trenton, NJ) aka pork roll, Johnsonville Stadium Brats or Hilshire Farms Bratwurst, pork bacon (arteries be damned! None of that turkey stuff), and Delmonico breakfast steaks.

Hope this whets your appetite!

I eat oatmeal 90% of the time. I prefer Bob's Red Mill as it is a thicker rolled oat. Compared to the instant or quick it is like comparing whole wheat bread to white bread. I add raisins and walnuts most days and will add fresh fruit or frozen fruit such as blueberries, strawberries, pineapple ...
If not rolled oatmeal it may be steel cut or some sort of five grain mixture of hot cereal.

Usually scrambled Egg Beaters with mushroom, green chili's and chopped Spam! (yes, I'm on a budget but the Spam is OK)

Topped with hot black French Roast coffee :drool:

Black Coffee and Cigarettes.

Occasionally (rarely) a cigar at work if I get in early enough. (5 Vegas Golds or something similar)

wheat toast with a some peanut butter on it......no butter. Some organic plain yogurt with a small amount of sugar and/or maple syrup added to sweeten it up a little. 1-2 pieces of fruit. Small amount of a good orange or apple juice and lots of water.

Weekdays, it's generally yogurt, toaster waffles with real maple syrup, fresh ground strong black coffee.

Weekends, I like to make omelettes---this morning was smoked turkey, diced tomatoes, avocado and swiss---with whole wheat toast.

But I also do a "Mega McBagel" that's seriously good---Canadian bacon, peppered ham, or pastrami, fried egg and Provolone cheese on a toasted bagel.

Summers, which as a teacher I have off, I tend to have a bowl of granola with lots of fresh fruit---bananas, strawberries, and blueberries, built up in layers like lasagna.

NANP™

if theres left over baked potatoes in the house i fry up some onions , throw in the potatoes, add some cut up ham or sausage, red peppers, cheese, seasoning salt, and when its cooked, throw in an egg or two and scramble it all together, cover with cheese and stir again, its like, cheesy eggy hashwbrowns with meat :)

if not, i usually have leftovers,

or fried eggs with cheese on an english muffin, or poached eggs on toast :)

Cereal or a Slimfast on the weekdays. We tend to do something a little more extravagant on the weekends.

Gotta take what you can get!

Baked beans on toast, toast, cereal, fruit - what ever is in the house that I feel like really.

usually have a fried breakfast on a friday.

Top Bottom