What's new

Did my first wetshave tonight.

First off, if you're wondering what I used, here's the little kit I bought:
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=88385
Only difference being I used a Taylor of OBS Lemon&Lime shaving cream sample that he also included.

Started off soaking the brush in the mug with some microwaved water since our tap doesn't run very hot. Gave my face a bit of a steam bath and a good rinse with hot water. I ended up putting a bit too much soap in the lather, but added a bit more water and it ended up pretty good if I do say so myself.
(just a bit too much actual lather and wasteful)

I think the brush itself was too soft for my liking. It spread flat over my face with no real pressure and didn't do much in the massage department. I was also a bit annoyed trying to get it lathered in up by my sideburns since it was very limp and just flattened out. But the lather held up very well throughout the passes each time I applied it.

I can't really say if the razor or blades are for me since it was my first time and I haven't tried anything else. My main problem was that I was having a hard time maintaining a good angle. I kept going either too far up or too far down and having the razor lose contact without noticing. The lather was so slick on my face I couldn't hardly tell. :biggrin1:

I ended up doing 3 passes. One with the grain, one across, and then a very careful and light against the grain. I only went against the grain because my neck was really pissing me off. I couldn't get it to shave decent in any of the 3 passes. End result being my neck and jawline turned out to be a bit like a half day stubble. I'm sure that is all technique though and I will improve as I continue practicing. It was probably from me having a hard time maintaining a good angle.

I didn't cut myself at all :)001_smile). I definitely felt a bit of razor burn coming on, but that happens to me even with cartridge and canned crap. I rinsed with cold water and applied some of the aftershave balm sample. I didn't like that product at all. It left my face feeling oily/heavy and had a strong lotion smell that I couldn't stand.

Over all it was a good experience. I don't think I'll ever go back to canned shave cream again, that hand made lather was wonderful. I definitely need to look for a different aftershave balm though. I need something moisturizing to sooth my razor burn and sensitive skin, but preferably something lighter and with a refreshing scent. A stiffer brush may also be on my list down the road, balm first though. (suggestions welcome)

I want to throw out a quick thank you to all of B&B for providing me with all the info I needed to make a good first go at wetshaving and not have it go horribly wrong. :thumbup: :badger:

Welcome to B&B.

Congrats on the first shave! :001_smile

It's good that you didn't get any cuts. The razor burn is something on which you can improve with experience. I'm not familiar with the razor so I can't give you any specific advice on it.

For a brush, a stiff, boar brush is a good bet. They're mostly inexpensive so it won't hurt you too much if you don't like it.

I'm not a fan of the T&H balm either. You might not be a fan of balms or aftershave milks altogether. Some people prefer splashes. Read through the Drug Store Bargains thread for some cheap alternatives.

Congrats !! Looks like you had good first shave..

I had razor burn when I just started out but it went away when I got my technic down.

Have fun !!

Welcome to B&B.

Congrats on the first shave! :001_smile

It's good that you didn't get any cuts. The razor burn is something on which you can improve with experience. I'm not familiar with the razor so I can't give you any specific advice on it.

For a brush, a stiff, boar brush is a good bet. They're mostly inexpensive so it won't hurt you too much if you don't like it.

I'm not a fan of the T&H balm either. You might not be a fan of balms or aftershave milks altogether. Some people prefer splashes. Read through the Drug Store Bargains thread for some cheap alternatives.

I've pretty much always got razor burn, even with old cartridge shaving. I think it is just part of my sensitive skin. That's why I think I'm pretty much stuck with using lotions or balms to help it sooth and recover after. Only thing the splashes I've tried before have done is burn more. ;)

I think you are right on the boar brush. I might give one a try here down the road. Or maybe just a lower grade badger.

I've pretty much always got razor burn, even with old cartridge shaving. I think it is just part of my sensitive skin. That's why I think I'm pretty much stuck with using lotions or balms to help it sooth and recover after. Only thing the splashes I've tried before have done is burn more. ;)

I think you are right on the boar brush. I might give one a try here down the road. Or maybe just a lower grade badger.

once you get your lather building skills up to spec you will get burn free shaves

I got a baby bottom smooth shave from an astra blade with 0 burn using LDH soap found here at amazon brush, bowl, and a brick of soap for 11 bucks.

the boar brush that comes in that set might not have the best looking handle, but its stiff (you did say you wanted to try a stiff brush), and it lathers up great.

but it really is all in the lather and technique, which will get better over time.

I can't really give too much advice since I am pretty much a newby myself (two months) but I wanted to add my voices to the others who are encouraging you to be patient and experiment. I find that making lather myself is fun and adds a new dimension to my morning routine. Maybe it reminds me of when I was a kid and would make a fake beard with my bubble bath foam. Good luck as you continue on.

Don't you worry, everything will get better with time and practice, and you will soon loose that razor burn, try some witch hazel for aftershave, no burn, but it is also not a balm. I use Thayer's Superhazel.

Great start.

The Delong brush is probably a little on the soft and floppy side for starting out, but hang on to it. You may well find that as your lather making skills build, you will find yourself liking it more. I see the seller listed it as unused, and badger brushes take some breaking in before they perform like they should.

If you want something stiffer in badger, the Tweezerman is an economical choice. If you want a nice, top of the line stiff brush, try the Omega Boar brushes.

Welcome to the world of shaves that you actually enjoy. :biggrin1:

Great start.

The Delong brush is probably a little on the soft and floppy side for starting out, but hang on to it. You may well find that as your lather making skills build, you will find yourself liking it more. I see the seller listed it as unused, and badger brushes take some breaking in before they perform like they should.

If you want something stiffer in badger, the Tweezerman is an economical choice. If you want a nice, top of the line stiff brush, try the Omega Boar brushes.

Welcome to the world of shaves that you actually enjoy. :biggrin1:

Ya, I didn't have much of a problem working up a lather in the mug with it, I just didn't like it for applying the lather to my face after. I'll be sticking with it for awhile, going to try out some other aftershaves first. Probably give some of these suggestions a try. :)

I'm going to do my 2nd shave here tomorrow. Hopefully it will go as well or even better. ;)

Top Bottom