What's new

Philly - Delis

Just wanted to tell everyone that I just went to the 'famous' fourth street deli at fourth street and bainbridge. It was friggin' awesome. A corned beef reuben that was at least 4" thick. Followed by a slab of cake about 8" square and 1.5" thick. (Finished the sandwich, but not the cake.) I am so full right now.

Any other good philly delis, or local ones for you guys that you'd like the share about?

Mama's Pizzeria is an amazing place for cheese steaks. It's on the main line, near Gladwynne. (Forgive me for not having more detailed directions -- my brother lives down that way; I live in NY)

JA corned beef reuben

corned beef/reuben = redundant. Like saying a gin martini. Only necessary to use a modifier when going with a variant rather than the correct form, no?

(Like a turkey reuben (bleh) or a vodka martini.)

Well, I just hope that the reuben was a reuben - with sauerkraut, and not that abberition with cole slaw that they sometimes serve here.

My other biggest gripe with food labeling since moving to the Philly area (20 years ago) is that they list "steamers" on a menu when it's just a steamed hardshell clam instead of steamer (soft shell ipswitch) clams.

But I digress. :biggrin:

corned beef/reuben = redundant. Like saying a gin martini. Only necessary to use a modifier when going with a variant rather than the correct form, no?

(Like a turkey reuben (bleh) or a vodka martini.)

Well, I just hope that the reuben was a reuben - with sauerkraut, and not that abberition with cole slaw that they sometimes serve here.

My other biggest gripe with food labeling since moving to the Philly area (20 years ago) is that they list "steamers" on a menu when it's just a steamed hardshell clam instead of steamer (soft shell ipswitch) clams.

But I digress. :biggrin:

Sorry if I offended, but yes it was real sauerkraut. From what I could tell, this place was 'doing it right' when it came to authenticity of the sandwiches.

Top Bottom