What's new

some random thoughts about wet-shaving

I am a newbie to the wet-shave scene; having purchased my first DE, a Merkur HD in an Art of Shaving store in NYC when visiting a friend. I purchased it because I wanted a better shave line for my goatee, and the Mach 3s, fusions, etc. never could do it to my satisfaction. But what I did not know at all, was the type of shave I could get for the rest of my face by using a good shaver, coupled with a well matched blade and proper preparation. I discovered this site via the aforementioned article that was in Stereophile magazine a number of months ago. Joining this group has really provided me with an education about wet-shaving that I simply never knew. What strikes me though, is that wet-shaving like being an audiophile, it too is a great hobby that can be lots of fun. Just like the audiophile world, there are as many points of view as there are folks participating in the discussion; whether it be about blades, shavers, whatever - I find the differing points of view invaluable to me. I have purchased mostly through eBay, some vintage Gillette shavers, and rotate them, change up blades and actually look forward to my morning shave as a result - how crazy is that? I also am introducing my 18 and 20 year old sons to wet-shaving and expect that they will be taking their "shave kits" back to their respective dorm rooms this September, and who knows how many guys they might convert?
I also find that while as a hobby you can spent all sorts of $'s on "rare" vintage razors, you have the option of buying one or two good DE's for short money and then just have the cost of the blades, which are so damn cheap as compared to the current blades for the Mach 3 or Fushion. It's funny, most if not ALL the guys in my office do not even know that wet-shaving exists - and if they did, knowing the huge difference just in the cost of a blade, never mind the huge difference in the quality of the shave you get, there would be all sorts of new wet-shavers on the scene.
I really enjoy wet-shaving, it is an even better hobby and this web site is an invaluable source of information.

Welcome to B&B to both of you. Glad to have you join us, and I couldn't agree more. This is a great place to spend time, for so many reasons.

Nice first post, Allmead. And NZDavid, I did enjoy your post on cost shaving. Hmm, that was a typo, but it actually works! :cool:

Top Bottom