What's new

Is this normal for a Gold Gillette executive?

Saw a posting for a Gillette Executive razor and the seller claims that "I do want to note that when opened, the end cap on one side looks very crooked (see picture), but straightens back out when closed." Seller makes it sound like this is normal and will shave ok. What's your opinion? Also, if not "normal" is it fixable? If fixable, how is it fixed?

Thanks,

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I would say no. It was probably dropped and is hold together with a string!

I agree with Luc, it isn't normal. In its closed position it appears to be fine so there shouldn't be any issues. However the crooked endplate may pose some problems in the future.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Even in the closed position, the end caps, doors and guards do not appear to be level with other straight lines in the second picture.

Don't buy it. (Unless you get it for a steal.)

Here is the closed picture with perfectly horizontal lines.

The whole head is bent.

proxy.php

I've also seen the ad. I didn't take the admission to mean "normal" as in the mechanics of the razor, just a cosmetic quirk. I have an Arisocrat that does something similar and it's not destined for mint-land, but it's one great shaver so I don't worry.

I guess it depends on what you're shopping for. I have a very nice Executive set with of course the same razor, but I'd call it near mint. I'd like to keep it near mint, so this razor might be an excellent addition in my shave rotation - although it's hardly "shaver grade"! Just a little less than perfect.

Good luck if you pursue it.

The whole head on that thing is bent regardless of it being open or closed. I honestly wouldn't bother with it. With a bent head and an end cap that shifts when you open/close it, I willing to bet there may be other issues with it as well. In short, that Executive is probably more trouble than its worth.

Razor Seller,

I appreciate your coming in here and in a very straight-forward manner addressing the questions that were raised about your razor. I believe doing so is an excellent demonstration of a commitment to dealing with integrity and honesty. However, I hope you will understand that this is a community of gents who have come together here to share ideas and take pride in "looking out for each other", even amongst ourselves. There was no malice projected toward you. I, for one, though, will continue to bring questions of all types, including questions I may have about potential acquisitions, to the folks on this board who I have much reason to trust. I hope you will choose to spend more time here with us, as you do seem to have much in common with, and much to share with us. And welcome to the B&B with your first post! :cool:

Razor Seller,

I appreciate your coming in here and in a very straight-forward manner addressing the questions that were raised about your razor. I believe doing so is an excellent demonstration of a commitment to dealing with integrity and honesty. However, I hope you will understand that this is a community of gents who have come together here to share ideas and take pride in "looking out for each other", even amongst ourselves. There was no malice projected toward you. I, for one, though, will continue to bring questions of all types, including questions I may have about potential acquisitions, to the folks on this board who I have much reason to trust. I hope you will choose to spend more time here with us, as you do seem to have much in common with, and much to share with us. And welcome to the B&B with your first post! :cool:

The seller who registered was a member with duplicate accounts. Make your own conclusions about this.

Last edited:
Although the seller sounds pretty shady - I have seen some adjustables with this issue. As CooncatBob said, usually a quick tweak with some needlenose will either resolve it or bring it to at least shaver status. Dont pay full price, but if you can get it for a deal, why not.

It's interesting that, in his post here that was deleted, he indicated he was going to take the listing off and repost with different pictures that show the razor doesn't have the problems that his camera "erroneously" made it appear exist. However, I just checked, and the razor is still posted with the same pics.

I believe everyone deserves to be treated decently and given a chance to explain themselves, but when they demonstrate bad behavior, need to be dealt with appropriately. Thanks, Mods, for "sweeping" this thread clean!

I'm glad we have a safe site, and am reminded that we still have to "be careful out there"! :cool:

"I do want to note that when opened, the end cap on one side looks very crooked (see picture), but straightens back out when closed." Seller makes it sound like this is normal and will shave ok. What's your opinion? Also, if not "normal" is it fixable? If fixable, how is it fixed?
Thanks,

I have seen that before on many TTOs. The razor will open and close with such bends within reason. It is 'damage' but it can be fixed quite easily with some pliers and a cloth to protect the plating.

I don't mean to offend anyone by my earlier post. The original seller might have had the best intentions so I personally withhold any judgement.

My Redtip has the issue, but only the endcap is bent, not the whole head. it shaves perfectly, and was actually bought from a member here who hadn't even noticed the whole thing. I haven't tried to bend it back fearing that it might get worse/break off completely or something.

Top Bottom