The Definitive Bacon Poll

How Bacon should be cooked.

• Pink and rubbery

• Golden Brown and chewy/crunchy

• Dark red and crumbly

• Black and acrid

• However Art likes it

Results are only viewable after voting.
I used to like it pink and rubbery but as I grew older and wiser I change to brown and crisp. It can't be too crisp though, it still has to have some pliability to it. This, in my experience, is the true art in cooking bacon...when to pull it from the pan so that it reaches the plate in that perfect state as it does continue to cook for a while out of the pan.

Preferably thick cut, pretty lean, peppered, apple wood smoked, and somewhere between chewy and crunchy. Chewy as in meaty though, not chewy-fatty...

Second! On both BroDirt and htown. That's how it's done! Black!? Acrid?! Those words have no business anywhere near bacon. A waste of meat, I say.

Second! On both BroDirt and htown. That's how it's done! Black!? Acrid?! Those words have no business anywhere near bacon. A waste of meat, I say.

Well, if anyone votes for it, we get to shun them:biggrin:

I do know some people that like it that way. makes me sad.

How do you all cook it? I used to just pan fry, but really like using the oven now on a fairly low temperature.

It takes a while, but cooks really nice and evenly and doesn't splatter grease all over my kitchen.

How do you all cook it? I used to just pan fry, but really like using the oven now on a fairly low temperature.

It takes a while, but cooks really nice and evenly and doesn't splatter grease all over my kitchen.

Yup, in the oven. I take foil and crunch it up and spread it out again, leaving lots of peaks and valleys, line a pan with that, layer the bacon on it and spread coarse ground pepper over it, then do it in the oven at 350 for however long it takes. Awesome evenly cooked bacon...I learned this in a restaurant where I used to be a cook...we went through BLT's like crazy...

My preference is not on the poll. Bacon should be cooked until it is brown and crispy. Crunchy would be too hard, and chewy it should not be. Pork side meat is chewy, but not bacon. For crispy the bacon must have a very high fat content. The lean is what makes it hard and crunchy.

There's nothing on there about "in vodka". I read yesterday that there's a distillery in Washington making bacon-flavored vodka... :eek:

Top Bottom