What's new

Simpson Chubby 1 Best VS. Simpson Duke 3 Best VS. Rooney 1:2

Out of the three which do you prefer best?

• Simpson Duke 3 Best

• Simpson Chubby 1 Best

• Rooney 1:2 Faux Ivory Super

Results are only viewable after voting.
My father has been poking and prodding me as what to get me for my birthday. I have these three brushes in mind. As far as Simpson all I know from them is the Case that I have and I am very impressed with it. So I don't know wether to get another Simpson or venture and try a Rooney.

Also note all three of the brushes are on my list to be acquired at some point. It's just a matter of which one should I get next.

• Simpson Chubby 1
  • Simpson Duke 3
  • Rooney 1:2

Much thanks,
Gary

If you could possibly come up with a pre Vulfix Duke 3, that would be the clear winner in my book. Short of that happening, I voted for the Chubby 1. If you'd like a bit bigger brush and can stretch the budget a bit, the Chubby 2 is a great choice.

If you could possibly come up with a pre Vulfix Duke 3, that would be the clear winner in my book. Short of that happening, I voted for the Chubby 1. If you'd like a bit bigger brush and can stretch the budget a bit, the Chubby 2 is a great choice.

Do you know the exact knot size on the Chubby 1? My Simpson Case is 19mm would I really notice the difference?

A Chubby should run about 24 mm. Yes, you will certainly notice a big difference against a 19 mm brush.

While mine is the faux-horn (to match the 2/1 in super) I unreservedly ticked Rooney 1/2. While my new Commodore X2 in Best seems slightly softer in the tips than the Rooney, I prefer the size, sturdiness and density of the Rooney.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
I think the knot on the Chubby 1 and the Duke 3 are pretty comparable. The Duke just has a bigger handle.

If you could possibly come up with a pre Vulfix Duke 3, that would be the clear winner in my book. Short of that happening, I voted for the Chubby 1.

I know this is an older thread but I'm a little confused about why there seem to be concerns with a post Vulfix Duke 3 but no concerns with a post Vulfix Chubby 1 :confused: I don't know much about the Simpson brush history and subsequent acquisition by Vulfix but I read up on Simpson brushes a little and ordered a Duke 3 in best from WCS tonight. Have there been problems with the post Vulfix Duke 3 while the post Vulfix Chubby has been problem free? Just trying to get a better understanding....

Top Bottom