What's new

Im going to Law School.

So things finally worked out for me. I got a letter from the University of Maine Law School. I picked it for a safe school, but realized that its the best bang for my buck. I move to Portland, Maine in August. Im so excited and nervous. Wanted to share it with you guys.

Congratulations. I am just starting my 3rd year down here at Florida. Law school is just as fun as everyone says it is! Really!:001_rolle

Congrats! I just graduated from law school myself, and am now studying for the bar. Just know that it is going to be a ton of work and at some point you're going to want to quit, but if you try hard you'll be fine. First year is the hardest. If you've been out of school a while expect quite a shock when you first start. I would advise you to talk to your loved ones now and explain that you're going to be very busy, and if they don't see you the last 6 weeks of the semester not to worry. You will of course still see them, but they need to know that if you are tired, inattentive, or quite frankly a jerk it's normal and expected. They'll help you through.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
Law school is just as fun as everyone says it is! Really!:001_rolle

Please read the next two hundred pages for tomorrow's lesson. :eek::rolleyes:

Law School:

1st year - they scare you to death.

2nd year - they work you to death.

3rd year - they bore you to death.

:wink:

Congratulations. Law school is a time in your life when you will forge relationships that will last the rest of your life. Best of luck!

So things finally worked out for me. I got a letter from the University of Maine Law School. I picked it for a safe school, but realized that its the best bang for my buck. I move to Portland, Maine in August. Im so excited and nervous. Wanted to share it with you guys.
Congrats and good luck to you! I'm in law school part time at Pace University. I'm thinking of transferring to Fordham but I'm not sure whether it's worth the extra costs.

My advice is not to get overwhelmed. Expect it to be hard. Expect the work to be tiresome. Don't be shocked by it. Roll with it.

Probably the most honest advice I was given by the President of our SBA during 1L orientation.

Like most of you, I received high honors from my undergraduate school, and was always near the top of every law, literature, research, and theory class I took in college.

He said, "90% of you will not be in the top 10%".

In my school, the first year curve is a 2.2 out of a 4.0 scale. This means the class breakdown of grades was somewhere around 10% A's, 15% B's, 60% C's, 15% D's and F's.

I have felt the high of receiving a Book award (top grade in a class) and the sting of a D- (fiancee had chemotherapy and I didn't get a memo in on time).

You know what they call a Judge who graduated with a 2.0? "Your Honor".

Grades are important, but they are not dispositive. Make sure you remember that your first year. It gets better....

Congratulations and good luck.

The three years will go fast. You will have plenty to do and little time to do it.:smile:

...You know what they call a Judge who graduated with a 2.0? "Your Honor"...

Along the same lines I was told: "Those who get the A's go on to be professors, those who get the B's go on to be judges, and those who get the C's go on to be lawyers."

Thanks guys! It means alot. Planning on giving it my all for once. I got this far without really having to try.

That scuttle is gonna be great during winter!

Congratulations! The best advice I received before first-year classes began (this was so long ago that I was sharpening my quill pens at the time) was from the dean. He told us to avoid talking to friends and family about what we were doing. While our classes might be interesting to us, they would be extremely boring to everyone else. I have tried to follow that that advice through the subsequent decades, and that is why I still have non-lawyer friends.:cool:

Congrats and good luck to you! I'm in law school part time at Pace University. I'm thinking of transferring to Fordham but I'm not sure whether it's worth the extra costs.

My advice is not to get overwhelmed. Expect it to be hard. Expect the work to be tiresome. Don't be shocked by it. Roll with it.

Im an alum of Pace Law. IME if you are able to be at the top of your class it is worth it to be in the more highly regarded school, in this case Fordham. Also, if you have an area of specialty that you are interested in you should consider that as well. I went to Pace because I was interested in the fact that their environmental law program was so strong that it made for a stronger real property law program as well. Property law and environmental law go hand in hand these days. This is what I focused on, and is my area of practice.

So, you need to consider many things...but Fordham is an excellent school and Pace is an excellent school as well.

As for the OP...enjoy it, take it seriously and not seriously at the same time. Law school can overwhelm you and it shouldn't, profs and fellow students can be hyper-competative, cliquish, elitist douches. Your goal in law school is to learn a new way of thinking, not a new way of being, stay true to yourself, learn what you are taught and give back to the profs what they want...just dont give in to them, and you will succeed.

Top Bottom