What's new

Why Cops Are Grumpy

As mentioned in a couple of posts, I do the RSO thing once or twice a week at my pistol range.

One of my regular Sunday shooters is a local traffic officer, spends a lot of Saturday nights on night shift and is usually waiting for me to open.

A couple of weeks ago, he's sitting on the walk, growling and snarling when I pull up. I **** my head at him and he says he finished his shift by pulling over some woman doing something stupid.

He says "do you know why I'm standing here?"

She snarls at him "probably because a 'B' was your best mark in high school."

When I finished laughing, I opened up and treated him to a box of .22 :biggrin:

- John

As mentioned in a couple of posts, I do the RSO thing once or twice a week at my pistol range.

One of my regular Sunday shooters is a local traffic officer, spends a lot of Saturday nights on night shift and is usually waiting for me to open.

A couple of weeks ago, he's sitting on the walk, growling and snarling when I pull up. I **** my head at him and he says he finished his shift by pulling over some woman doing something stupid.

He says "do you know why I'm standing here?"

She snarls at him "probably because a 'B' was your best mark in high school."

When I finished laughing, I opened up and treated him to a box of .22 :biggrin:

- John

Do'h!
That is hilarious though.

That is pretty darn funny! Thanks for the laugh!

As far as cops being pissed a lot I don't blame them. The three that I have met as neighbors in my life two were great guys the other was a butt head (I'm being nice there).

Every one second guesses their decisions.

What if it had been a guy? I would presume if I mouthed off to a cop like that I'd be lucky to just get the ticket!

I would have DEFINITELY hooked her up. I was near the top of my class. I don't know why people think most cops are dumb. It's evident in the lies they try to slide through with.

I know several officers, all have bachelors degrees, and most have masters. They are great guys. That said, the public hates them, they can't do anything right, and everything is second guessed and lawsuits abound.(I'm speaking of the So Cal LE community in general) You couldn't pay me enough.

That is pretty darn funny! Thanks for the laugh!

As far as cops being pissed a lot I don't blame them. The three that I have met as neighbors in my life two were great guys the other was a butt head (I'm being nice there).

Every one second guesses their decisions.

It's not so much second-guessing as childishly not wanting to admit to what they were doing and mad they got caught. If I didn't SEE you run the red light, I'm not gonna waste my time pulling you over. Nothing increases your chances of getting a ticket like arguing and condescension.

I never met a cop who wasn’t nice and courteous to me. Then again, I’ve never been pulled over or had any trouble with an officer before. I know there are a lot of bad images of cops in various media forms. I’m always seeing images of cops as being stupid, abusive and racist, but to be honest, every cop I met personally has been a pretty stellar person.

Hey guys, I echo almost all of what you say here. It is a job I would not want. I know a bit about this since I have a cousin and an uncle who combined had over 50 years experience as a highway patrolman and a county sherriff's deputy. They could tell you a lot of silly stories. The one thing that stands out here is the officer's question. "Do you know why I'm standing here?" Classic case of setting yourself up. My uncle told me unwriten rule of traffic enforcement was; If you lecture don't write, if you write don't lecture. This lady almost assuredly though she was going to get lectured. Most people react as described in the other posts. They are mad because they got caught. Asking them a question like that just after you pull them over smacks of being a smartaleck. The officer is initiating the confrontation. Tell them why you are pulling them over. Asking someone to self incriminate themselves is pretty silly. Saying that, the uncle also told me had more mouthpiece women to deal with in traffic stops than he ever did with men. If the guys got mad, there was usually fistycuffs and a pair of handucffs got invovled. Gals on the other hand would just ring off non stop on these guys. No thank you!

Regards, Todd

Isn't it illegal to verbally harass an officer of the law? Bang the ***** in handcuffs!

LE do a hard job, which is not always made easy by the public and their colleagues. They don't deserve verbal abuse on top of that.

It's not so much second-guessing as childishly not wanting to admit to what they were doing and mad they got caught. If I didn't SEE you run the red light, I'm not gonna waste my time pulling you over. Nothing increases your chances of getting a ticket like arguing and condescension.

I understand completely what you mean. Arguing rarely gets you anywhere. The second guessing was my mind wandering about the big crimes or shootings you hear on the news. It seems like the media always tries to find some underlying sinister reason other than common sense or the most simple fact.

. . . It seems like the media always tries to find some underlying sinister reason other than common sense or the most simple fact.

Truth spoken. A senior constable here shot a guy the other day and the media is trying to make it all sinister and mysterious, instead of being shot because he waved around and then pointed his sawed-off 12 gauge at the cops.

On the lighter side:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mL5P4tkOpTA

I've met policemen who were on both ends of the spectrum. They are people just like everyone else.

This. I've personally known cops who are great people, and also some who are scum of the Earth. Just like any large group of diverse individuals, there are good and bad.

Cops around here can be a difficult issue due to the language barrier. 99% of cops here are French Canadian, that's not a problem, the problem is that of those 99% there's probably about 30% who can't or won't speak english to you. So if you're english you've got a roughly 1 in 3 chance of having a strike against you as soon as you're pulled over.

I've never had trouble personally, and the few cops that I've actually conversed with on a few occasions have been stand up guys and gals.

Top Bottom