What's new

Shaver Aggressive vs. Razor Aggressive.

I figured out why I like a less aggressive razor:

Because I'M AN AGGRESSIVE SHAVER!!!

I have a medium thickness beard (some might call it just 'thick'), and very tough skin. I don't get irritation or ingrowns or razor burn, but I have gotten a nick here or there.

But I only get a nick if I use an aggressive razor. The first and only time I got a 'weeper' was from a slant. I blame my own technique.

I seem to be the perfect candidate for a nice aggressive razor. But I just don't like them.

And you know what? I like being a tad aggressive with my shave. I like my technique. It's perfect with a light razor. With my tough skin, I can get bbs in two passes with a touch-up. I don't need to go with the grain to start. I go XTG, then ATG, and it feels good. ('Stache area is a little different. That I do go WTG, XTG, then ATG in the touch-up pass.)

So the slant is gonna go. The reason I haven't kept one of my own Custom Red-Tips is because I have to change my technique to use one properly, and I just don't wanna. For the time being, the GEM Jr. and the black handled super speed are my favorite shavers.

And that Black Handle SS would look great in Gold, don't ya think? :biggrin:

Even with an aggressive razor I need four passes plus 'touch ups', and I'm an aggressive shaver too.
I guess I'm not the only one, they made aggressive razors for a reason :D
When I first started shaving with a DE (ie SS, tech), I could still feel stubble with my fingers that the razor couldn't even find, so no amount of passes would help. So I need an aggressive razor to get that stubble.
I love the GEMs too, I have about 5 1912s and a 1924, unfortunately none of the more aggressive GEMs ever reached me, all 'lost in the post' :(

Last edited:
Very interesting. My first DE razor was a Merkur HD. I thought I wanted something more aggressive because I had that 'finger stubble' that the razor just wouldn't cut. but I also wanted to try a vintage Gillette. I ended up with a 1961 Fatboy, which is great. I've had it for a month now and I haven't used my Merkur since. I used to be a pretty aggressive shaver, but recently I have really been trying to take the minimalist approach and I'm finding that I can get extremely close using only WTG strokes.

Now that I've got an adjustable I find myself using the lowest settings on it. If fact, I'm trying to perfect my angle to the point where I can get a DFS on the '1' setting. So far it only works when I shave every day.

Top Bottom