What's new

Suggestions for a custom shaving brush handle

Hi, I'm looking for some suggestions for a very interesting, beautiful, and somewhat exotic shaving brush handle. I ask because I got a hold of some raw badger hides. They were so old they weren’t worth anything as a pelt but the hair suitable for shave brushes was plentiful. I managed to get a few brushes made from the best of the best hair I could get from them. The problem is that I'm not very creative when it comes to material, and design. If anyone has an idea please share it.
I cant afford terribly exotic materials like ivory or tortoise shell (nor do I condone, beautiful as they are, the illegal harvesting of such materials) but I can get a hold of things like stag horn, native American hardwoods, laminated bone, laminated bore tusks, stones, and things like that. No idea's too crazy. Something that you might say, “no one would ever do that” about might just be what I'm looking for but couldn’t find on my own.

Thank you my wet shaving brethren

P.S. These are for my personal use and perhaps a gift for a friend or family member. I'm not going to make a monetary profit from your ideas. My profit will be in the form of the joy I will get from creating / using these wonderful relics from a more civilized time, much like your payment will be a heart felt thank you, whether your idea is used or not.

Hey, I like that. Way to think outside of the box. It’s certainly unique, exotic, and has the potential to be beautiful. Thanks for that, I might do it.

Does anyone know if oosik can be lathe turned? (I’ve never worked with it)

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Hey, I like that. Way to think outside of the box. It’s certainly unique, exotic, and has the potential to be beautiful. Thanks for that, I might do it.

I heard it can be, but it is awfully hard....:biggrin:

Check out this thread: $20 Challenge

I have a 24mm best badger on which I used deer antler for the handle. The picture is somewhere in that thread. And I just got a silvertip knot that is also going to have a deer antler handle, I just haven't got it finished yet...

Thanks moonshine44. That thread gave me some great ideas and, though I had considered deer horn, I hadn’t considered using it in a natural state. That would look to be simpler and also, I think, gives it more of that "you know what it’s made of without having to ask" quality.

peachfuzzprince, what do you mean by polished stones? Are you talking about soapstone or marble or something like that?

Absolutely, but it stinks as bad as you think it might... :biggrin:

Not because of where it was located on the walrus, but because all those ivory-like materials really smell terrible when you start working on them.

You will find, however, that oosic is one of the prettiest materials you will ever see. It is equal to ivory or mastodon in beauty as far as I am concerned. Fill in the pores with black epoxy, sand smooth, and polish. It takes a high gloss shine.

then i definantly think ill go with it. any tips on where or how to get some?
Go with what? If you mean oosic, you can get it at K&G.

Wear a respirator. It is not lung friendly...
proxy.php

Go with what? If you mean oosic, you can get it at K&G.

Wear a respirator. It is not lung friendly...

Not much is when you cut, turn or sand, is it? I used to sculpt stone a lot. It wasn't too long before I started wearing a respirator all the time when I worked stone.

-Andy

Top Bottom