What's new

It's Great to Know Stuff

My toilet was making a dripping sound. I checked it and realized that the flapper was malfunctioning. I bought the part and replaced it myself. I thought back to my youth and remembered how I had no interest in learning anything about house or auto repairs. It wasn't until my college years that I finally started hanging out with my dad when he'd do things around the house or garage. He was a plumber, mason, welder, electrician, roofer, tile layer, and auto mechanic (there are more titles but the list is too long), and had extensive experience in both commercial and residential construction in Venezuela and New York. He seemed to know everything about everything.

I didn't recognize it as a kid but my dad saved and made the family a whole lot of money, even in trying times. When he was out of work, he could always pick up a job at a friend's garage or a local carpenter's outfit. We staved off financial disasters that many other families could not avoid. Whenever the family cars needed repairs, he'd use a flattened cardboard box to cover the cement floor of our garage and get to work. The thought of paying someone to change his car's oil makes him shudder. I remember trying to fit the new boiler down the basement steps before he installed it. Anything that needed fixing, he did it by himself. Barring any physical ailments, he still does.

I don't know how much I saved by buying a $5 part and not calling a plumber. Fortunately, I won't have to find out because my dad taught me how to do these things. You can walk more often, buy a car with better mileage, or eat out less but nothing beats just knowing stuff. Thanks, Dad. :thumbup1:

My dad wasn't a handy guy, but taught those lessons in his own way. Now, I am the one everyone in the family calls when work needs done. Somehow, I have even turned my brother around. He never shied away from work, but he is a computer and car nut, which I am not. I am pleased to sat, at 25 years old, he is almost done remodeling his first home, from top to bottom. A project I wouldn't have taken on myself. :001_rolle

Last edited:
I mostly learned on my own by reading books and watching others do the work. I have been working on my own cars since I was 16. I can do most household repairs. I just wish I knew more about carpentry.

I learned quite a bit from being in the construction industry. Just yesterday I noticed that my refrigerator was short cycling way to often. Things inside were still cold. But, it appeared that something was causing it to cut out on a safety device then cycle right back on. Sometimes only 10 seconds later.

My first thoughts were about calling a repairman. But, I began to recall some of my refrigeration training and experience. And, to consider what could be causing this problem. And, as it turns out, my first theory: the condenser coil needing cleaning was correct. It took about ten minutes to clean it out with a vacuum cleaner. Now everything appears to be working normally.:smile:

Knock on wood...

My dad taught me how to do alot of things, and i've learned alot over the years on my own. Example, the car, started rusting out, needed repainting.

Some sand paper, a file, a few spray cans of paint, clear, asphalt and truckbedliner and some true clear coat polishing and what would have cost 2000+ to fix took me an afternoon, and less than 100 bucks, the job is seamless untill you get it inside under highpowered fluorescent bulbs.

Top Bottom