What's new

Mac or PC?

Mac or PC?

• Mac

• PC

• Linux

• Typewriter

Results are only viewable after voting.
I will start by saying that I use a PC. I don’t hate Macs. In fact, I like them quite a bit, but I grew up on PCs and know how to use them and what to do if there’s a problem; if a Mac screws up I’m totally lost. But, the main reason I use a PC over a Mac is customizability. I buy parts and build my own computer, which is really cheap, and when it gets old, I can just replace the parts that need replacing and keep the ones that still work. However, Macs can get pretty expensive, and you have to get the whole package, and if you want to upgrade/repair/replace parts or whatever you have to get a professional to do it because individual parts aren’t available (unless they were pulled from some other system). There was even a time (I don’t know if they do it any more) when they soldered the parts in place to prevent people from salvaging parts. ipods and iphones are also designed to keep you from playing around with the insides, so instead of being able to replace a battery yourself, you have to send it to Apple, and that's really a pain. I need the option to open my stuff up and mess with it, especially after I purchased it. I think Macs are great, but if I can't dink around with the insides I'll have to pass.

Last edited:
Linux user myself I looked and looked but not a XP disc to be found and some of the games I used to play did not like vista in the least so I just reverted purely to console games and switched to linux for general computer use. I have no problems with Mac but like nikk I grew up on pc and pc's are in general better for gaming so I stuck to them for the most part.

...the main reason I use Linux over a Windows is customizability. I buy parts and build my own computer, which is really cheap, and when it gets old, I can just replace the parts that need replacing and keep the ones that still work. However,Windows can get pretty expensive, and you have to get the whole package, and if you want to upgrade/repair/replace Windows or whatever you have to pay more to do it because source codes aren’t available (unless they were pulled from some other system). There was even a time (I don’t know if they do it any more) when they put DRM in place to prevent people from using their computer they way they wanted. Windows and Office are also designed to keep you from playing around with the insides, so instead of being able to edit the source yourself, you have wait for Microsoft to fix it, and that's really a pain. I need the option to open my stuff up and mess with it, especially after I purchased it - or more likely got it for free. I think Windows is great, but if I can't dink around with the insides I'll have to pass.

:001_smile

I grew up with PC's. My dad did computer work on the side to make some extra money and he showed me how to build and fix computers. However, when I really gave Apple a good look I fell in love. I've had my Macbook Pro for over three years now. It still boots up as fast as it did from day one, and it hasn't crashed on me a single time. I can't say that about any PC system I've ever had.

Timely question, I just got the new Al MacBook this weekend. Ive used nothing but PC's since the late 90's when my parents got a Mac SE. I just got tired of the little nags I had with PC's, crashes, viruses, updates, no basic software, etc. Everyone with a Mac I talked to loved it and my girlfriend got one a few weeks ago and after using it daily I decided to take the plunge. Love it so far. Fast, quiet, cool (my Dell would give me leg burns) and decent software (iLife) included. It took me literally 2 days to have the OS down. My main uses are surfing, a little bit of work, and a bit of photo editing every now and then. If I built them or needed the fastest things out there for some reason, then maybe I would feel differently.

ETA: I hate Vista

The computer I use most frequently is a WinXP. But the computer I enjoy using the most is running Ubuntu. The funny thing is, its an old Dell box that was quickly becoming an old slug a few years ago when I first decided to wipe it and install Ubuntu, so I could learn the OS and use it as a "messin' around" system. Well, linux sans the XP-bloat has given me years of additional useful life and now I'm using it primarily for critical applications again. I'm waiting for SSDs to become a little more robust and stable before I build a new box, but when I do it'll never see Windows.

The typewriter's getting no love. Honestly, I wanted to add "bacon" as a 5th choice, but I don't think you can edit poll options after they were made.

Timely question, I just got the new Al MacBook this weekend. Ive used nothing but PC's since the late 90's when my parents got a Mac SE. I just got tired of the little nags I had with PC's, crashes, viruses, updates, no basic software, etc. Everyone with a Mac I talked to loved it and my girlfriend got one a few weeks ago and after using it daily I decided to take the plunge. Love it so far. Fast, quiet, cool (my Dell would give me leg burns) and decent software (iLife) included. It took me literally 2 days to have the OS down. My main uses are surfing, a little bit of work, and a bit of photo editing every now and then. If I built them or needed the fastest things out there for some reason, then maybe I would feel differently.

ETA: I hate Vista

I have a similar experience. The OS is a dream to work with, although heavily GUI centric, and not as fast as a well configured linux system. Also, I find the whole 'OMG, it's sooooo intuitive' to be not true....let's face it people, pointy-clicky it very intuitive on the surface, but for the deeper parts something like Unix's MAN-system with a CLI is much, much better. Especially combined with a good, knowledgeable userbase such as Ubuntu's (And face it, even the 'Mac geniuses' that work in the Mac store cannot be considered knowledgeable).

Now, if you want pure GUI experience, with little to no hassle, go mac. They're as stable as an XP machine (which, if the user knows what he/she is doing, will almost never crash) and the GUI is very well designed. Moreover, the Hardware/software integration is without parallel.

If you want hardware adaptability and gaming capability, but don't care for the OS, go XP.

If you don't game, go for a Linux system. It's just the best there is. :p

Ah, and for the record, I use a new Al Macbook.

Top Bottom