What's new

Duck and Duck Fat

A grilled cheese sandwich done in duck fat instead of just butter is one of the most delicious things I've ever eaten. I highly recommend it.

A grilled cheese sandwich done in duck fat instead of just butter is one of the most delicious things I've ever eaten. I highly recommend it.

Ooooohhhhh, that sounds awesome - my taste buds thank you, my arteries hate you!

Duck fat, is also the key to sublime french fries.
Remember, they have to be fried twice, once at 260, the second at 375.
Salt immediately after removing from oil.

I love duck, and also am a big fan of the long steam followed by super-high heat to crisp up the skin. I frequently employ Alton Brown's pineapple/orange juice brine. I cook duck often enough that I almost never run out of fat, but I keep a few packs of More Than Gourmet's Duck Fat on hand.

As to what to do with it: everything! Roasted veggies/taters are amazing but I add it to biscuits, use it for frying potstickers, cook bacon in it (hey, don't knock it 'til you try it!), brown stew meat with it, use it for any steak I'm searing in a cast iron skillet, and just about everything else where other cooked oils might suffice.

Yum. I'm working on a soda pop that utilizes it. Some guy named Primus has got the "Pork Soda" market cornered, but I reckon there's a niche for "Duck Soda" somewhere...

I keep getting images of Daffy and Bugs going back and forth: "Duck Soda!" "Wabbit Soda"!

I'd love to know how many of these bad boys they've sold.

(And how many of them have been used once and then never seen the light of day!).

I only know of one, the Berkley store sold one to Thomas Keller (French Laundry) and he uses it. I used to work for Sur La Table.
But dropping 2 grand on a big hunk of brass like that, you better be rich, or really really love pressed duck.

That product really intrigues me. Anyone else ever use it?

Since posting this, I've done some searching on the Internet and its pretty easy to render your own duck fat.

If you ask a poultry shop who sells duck, they can get you duck fat fairly inexpensively and all you do is steam it or poach it until its liquified (if you poach it, you also have to simmer off the water). Then all you do is strain it a few times. (Sort of similar to making ghee/clarified butter).

Supposedly, duck fat keeps for a very long time in an airtight container and can be frozen with good results - I've heard that it can be frozen in an icecube tray and then sealed in an airtight container, which allows you to use just what you need.

Top Bottom