What's new

Multi-National Brush Restoration of the Ultimate Shaving Brush

Some time ago I was searching the bay for shaving brushes when I ran across a very interesting Horn Shaving Brush. This wasn't like most horn handled shaving brushes. The handle wasn't shaped from real horn, the handle was a real horn. Coupled with the fact that this brush appeared on the Bay in Australia (dollar stretches a little further) and the opening bid was low I threw out a number and won. What the heck I thought; this could be one cool restoration project.

The knot, naturally, was corroded and encrusted from years of use, followed by years of neglect. The metal components were green with corrosion and tarnish. The horn itself had a small spot of rot and the metal that secures the knot to the horn was severely loose.

Below are a few before pictures. These are with the brush fully assembled:

proxy.php

proxy.php

The screws that secure the metal ring/knot to the horn were stripped out so I had to use my Dremel to slot those screws in order to remove them. They will have to be replaced either with screws or pins. Below are pictures taken after disassembly before any restoration was started:

proxy.php

proxy.php

Once the knot was fully disassembled it was evident that the rot on the horn was a little more extensive than originally perceived:

proxy.php

I started off by simply cleaning everything I could. I polished all of the metal components:

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

The metal parts cleaned up very well and have a fantastic shine.

I also polished and cleaned the horn though it is going to need additional work:

proxy.php

During this process I was discussing this brush with Ambrose in the B&B chat. He was very interested as he'd never seen an actual Horn shaving brush as opposed to handle shaped from actual horn. I sent him some pictures and he was hooked. Immediately he had a hundred and one ideas for my restoration project. As our conversation continued we decided to conduct a global restoration of sorts. We are a couple of American's living in two different countries with the common goal of returning this brush to greatness.

I started the process with disassembly and a detailed cleaning and polishing. Now the brush is on its way to Texas. Ambrose is going to pick up where I left off. His hope is to remove the rot in the horn and re-knot this uber manly brush so that it can be enjoyed by someone for years to come (I still haven't decided if I'll keep or sell this brush). Ambrose will be updating this thread once the brush arrives at his house (should be 7-10 days). I could have done this on my own but he had several fantastic ideas, some of which would be difficult for me given my location. Besides I really like the idea of B&Bers teaming up to bring this great piece back to life!

B&B Gentleman if you have any suggestions, ideas or advice you'd like to share we are listening!

So Ambrose my friend it's on its way to Texas and round two is in your hands! Don't forget to keep us all updated with pics in this thread!

Last edited:
I am awaiting the arrival of the brush, this will be interesting. I already have ideas as to what to do but will need to get hands on to be sure.

What, nobody has any tips, suggestions or advice for Ambrose and I?

Well with out having the horn in hand one my suggest using Minwax's high performance wood hardener on the rotted horn and replacing the missing material with either pigmented epoxy or polyester resin.

Well with out having the horn in hand one my suggest using Minwax's high performance wood hardener on the rotted horn and replacing the missing material with either pigmented epoxy or polyester resin.

Thanks for the advice Bob.

sonova... so you got that brush!

:devil: :biggrin: :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Keep the ideas and advice coming fellas, Ambrose and I will be checking this thread regularly until the restoration is complete.

:w00t:

Wow. That looks like a brush made by a wet shave who lives in the wild in a hut, or a rancher, or a big game hunter. Just....wow.

Teaming up for one restoration is also really really amazing. Hey, maybe we can make this the worlds most traveled shaving brush!

What kind of knot are you thinking of putting in?

:w00t:

Wow. That looks like a brush made by a wet shave who lives in the wild in a hut, or a rancher, or a big game hunter. Just....wow.

Teaming up for one restoration is also really really amazing. Hey, maybe we can make this the worlds most traveled shaving brush!

What kind of knot are you thinking of putting in?

Probably Silver tip maybe two-band. Not totally decided yet.

BUMP for suggestions/ideas. Knot recommendations? Knot quality? Size etc.....

If you were restoring this beast, what would you do?

Ok bud, Let me know your thoughts.

First I resurfaced the horn because of that worm rot. So she is a bit slimmer now but I had to get that worm holes out. :tongue: I then started to polsih up the horn, I next custom fit the brass back on using some high density sitcky backed foam. Next hardware upgrade, for some reason these started out as brass but them polished up silver. :confused: Still looks a ton better either way. I am awaiting the knot my friend let me know whats up.

Last edited:
Won't the foam absorb water and rot eventually?

Looks great, though!

That's a concern, but it depends on what it is exactly. Weather stripping may not for example. I didn't get a chance to ask Ambrose what it is yet. Unless, perhaps he is planning on sealing it somehow from the outside so moisture can't get to it in the first place.

Good question.

Top Bottom