What's new

Newbie needs brush recommendation please

Hello, I am relatively new to this hobby. Per the good reviews on this forum, I have started out with a C & E Best Badger Cream brush. I am ready to move onto my next brush. I'd like to purchase something $100 or less. I use Tom's of Maine or Body Shop Maca Root cream over a cake of VDH soap. The C & E brush whips up a good lather, but I find that it is more of an applicator. In other words it's not stiff enough when loaded, and I am unable to do any face lathering like I see on the Mantic videos. I think that I'd be happy with something the same size or slightly larger with more of a backbone. Any suggestions will be much appreciated.

The Rooney 3/1 is a great choice. Vintage Blades has a new version of it in different colors as well. My new "Coral" super silvertip will arrive on Tuesday. I already have the standard 3/1 in super. Believe me you will love it.

Len

I have to agree with this recommendation. I have the 1/1 and its a fabulous face latherer, the handle is quite stubby and I enjoy that. The 3/1 has a similar knot, and is supposed to fabulous with a handle which may have wider appeal.

Read this, this, and/or this. It's an amazing brush, it's in your price range, and you can pick whatever handle shape and color you like. I highly recommend a Short-loft Custom Shavemac in Finest.

-Andy

It sounds like the Rooney 3/1 in super is the brush for you. Jim at Vintage Blades mentioned that the newest batch of 3/1s were coming in with a slightly shorter loft than usual which would make them really nice for face lathering in my opinion. Check his post in the shopping forum.

Just a quick note to all in thanks of the great responses. I just ordered a Rooney Style 3/1 in Super from VintageBladesLLC. I was captivated by the coral colored handle. I am sure that I will be happy with it. I also think that the Leisureguy would approve, as I revisited my copy of his great book for more brush info. I was telling Andrew in a PM that I think I will have to compromise and get both the Rooney and the Shavemac, but the Rooney is first on the list!

Just a quick note to all in thanks of the great responses. I just ordered a Rooney Style 3/1 in Super from VintageBladesLLC. I was captivated by the coral colored handle. I am sure that I will be happy with it. I also think that the Leisureguy would approve, as I revisited my copy of his great book for more brush info. I was telling Andrew in a PM that I think I will have to compromise and get both the Rooney and the Shavemac, but the Rooney is first on the list!

Rooney + Shavemac is not compromise. It's bliss. :biggrin:

You've chosen wisely!

Rooney 3/1 Super! Love the dense knot. A step up from the C&E brush. I made nearly the same progression as you are contemplating. Started with a C&E Fine Badger (not the best, which is probably a bit better). Then got the 3/1 and I've been extremely pleased with the result!:001_smile

Rooney + Shavemac means you can rotate brushes and still have awesomeness every day.

Rooney + Shavemac is not compromise. It's bliss. :biggrin:

You've chosen wisely!

I have to heartily agree with the statements above. I find my Rooney 1/1 and Shavemac Custom Finest (and D01) very complimentary. They're both firm, short-loft brushes, but that's where the similarities end. I like both the brushes pretty equally because of their differences. The "get both" statement you see on B&B so often definitely applies here. Enjoy!

-Andy

Everyone and their brother will recommend a Rooney 1/1 or 3/1. Everyone else will say a Shavemac. I went with the Shavemac.

Top Bottom