What's new

Newbie needs brush recommendation please

Hello, I am relatively new to this hobby. Per the good reviews on this forum, I have started out with a C & E Best Badger Cream brush. I am ready to move onto my next brush. I'd like to purchase something $100 or less. I use Tom's of Maine or Body Shop Maca Root cream over a cake of VDH soap. The C & E brush whips up a good lather, but I find that it is more of an applicator. In other words it's not stiff enough when loaded, and I am unable to do any face lathering like I see on the Mantic videos. I think that I'd be happy with something the same size or slightly larger with more of a backbone. Any suggestions will be much appreciated.

Hi, I find that Vulfix make great brushes. The London series are very cheap when you see the amount of quality put in them.

Hello, I am relatively new to this hobby. Per the good reviews on this forum, I have started out with a C & E Best Badger Cream brush. I am ready to move onto my next brush. I'd like to purchase something $100 or less. I use Tom's of Maine or Body Shop Maca Root cream over a cake of VDH soap. The C & E brush whips up a good lather, but I find that it is more of an applicator. In other words it's not stiff enough when loaded, and I am unable to do any face lathering like I see on the Mantic videos. I think that I'd be happy with something the same size or slightly larger with more of a backbone. Any suggestions will be much appreciated.

If you are looking for backbone as you call it or bristle stiffness try this .

1. Take a pair of sharp scissors and trim about 1/4-1/2" off your present brush bristle length . Shorter bristles are stiffer and longer tends to be floppy . Then give the sides an angled or taper cut like most brushes have .

2. Finally take 220 grit wet/dry paper and runs several figure 8's with it . This breaks the hair down and softens up the tips . Also accelerates the break in process of a new brush . Meaning it softens the tips again .

Try this free tip before you go and buy another brush that you might not be happy with once you get it . Then you'd have two parked in the drawer .

I bought a cheapo Omega boar that was a super lather maker . But the hairs quickly collapsed when you apply the lather . It has a large 26mm knot and "had" floppy bristles . Anyway I gave it a hair cut and transformed it . Now I have excellent lather making , good facial scrubbing action and is much softer all at the same time . Now my $140 Shavemac Silvertip which is nice gets no love .

cityjim

A Vulfix hands down for the most brush for the money. You can get a real nice Super Badger which will feel like a Silvertip for the kind of money you have. It will feel much softer than the best badger you have now, these are quality hand made brushes and will really lather up good. I use the 22 mm for a travel brush, they even come in an assortment of colors. Another really good brush that won't break your bank is the Edwin Jagger, excellent quality for the money and a great lathering brush, good luck bc

1. Take a pair of sharp scissors and trim about 1/4-1/2" off your present brush bristle length . Shorter bristles are stiffer and longer tends to be floppy . Then give the sides an angled or taper cut like most brushes have .

2. Finally take 220 grit wet/dry paper and runs several figure 8's with it . This breaks the hair down and softens up the tips . Also accelerates the break in process of a new brush . Meaning it softens the tips again .

Try this free tip before you go and buy another brush that you might not be happy with once you get it . Then you'd have two parked in the drawer .

I bought a cheapo Omega boar that was a super lather maker . But the hairs quickly collapsed when you apply the lather . It has a large 26mm knot and "had" floppy bristles . Anyway I gave it a hair cut and transformed it . Now I have excellent lather making , good facial scrubbing action and is much softer all at the same time . Now my $140 Shavemac Silvertip which is nice gets no love .

cityjim

Awesome tips. :thumbup1:

Never would have thought of giving a brush a haircut.

cityjim

I'm not saying that this is bad advice, I'm just saying that this is dangerous advice, as there's lots that can go wrong and you could just as easily ruin your brush as improve it.

Its one thing to try this on a $10 boar brush, its another to try this on a $35 brush (let alone a more expensive one) that you think is decent.

FWIW, my barber trims his boar brushes and I had him do this to a cheapie boar that I had kicking around - I didn't think it really improved the brush.

So, up to you, but I'd be cautious about giving your brush a haircut.

If you're looking for a nice brush for the money, I'd suggest one of the Rooney 1/1, 3/1 or specials sold by Jim at Vintageblades - great, dense brushes that do wonders with both soap and creams.

A decent brush is the Kent BK4. I'm a face latherer and this thing whips up creams and soaps alike. I'm really glad I trusted Joel's review (brush wars). BK4 and BLK4 only differs in the color.

Top Bottom