What's new

first shave with a double edge razor set my face afire!

Hey all, great messageboard here. Lots of fun shaving-geek type stuff to read, which is right up my obsessive-compulsive alley!

After years of using whatever the current overpriced Gillette Mach3 product was (what's next, the Mach3 Nuclear?), I came across someone singing the praise of this strange sounding razor called the Merkur. That led me here and bam, three weeks later I had a Merkur HD and 25 Derby Extra blades along with some interesting samples of shaving soaps and creams in my mailbox!

So I just had my first shave with the HD, and as the title implies, I perhaps didn't approach it carefully enough!! Read up a bunch on technique, and felt I was prepared, but it was still an experience. First mistake was deciding to a full on shave, including going against the grain instead of my regular shave where I only go with the grain. I tried using as little pressure as I could, but there were parts of my face where it felt like I had to use a little bit more. A couple cuts ensued! And where there were no cuts, I nonetheless still probably went too agressive, leaving some razor burn. And despite the burn, there are still some patches where I can tell I didn't get everything going against the grain, so a less than perfect shave :(

There truly is a fairly steep learning curve with this baby, but I'm gonna stick with it. Hopefully by the time I finish with my 25 pack of blades, I'll be confident enough to justify ordering more.

J

Jarmo P

HD is a great shaver, not too aggressive and not too mild. I never get any irritation from it. The head is the guide, not the quard. Might be you had and propably did a wrong angle.

As you are a new shaver, you might like something a tad milder. There are Bic Sensitive disposables that are in my opinion good single blade shavers.

Some here dont like Derby blades and find them a bith harsh. To me they are great blades. I suggest though you try those disposables that are to be had for 2.3 euro here for a 10 pieces and about the same price or less in elsewere. And are a kind of standard shavers for the multiple pass way of shaving.

There are Bic Sensitive disposables that are in my opinion good single blade shavers.
Those disposables were horrible to my face, I ditched them pronto.

Derby blades are fine blades for learning and beyond.

I would suggest that you focus on method shaving and don't try the fancy stuff, ATG and Blade buffing, until you have a few shaves under the belt, it takes time to acquire the correct technique. The razor is just a tool which has to be mastered, it takes time, months, to get technique right.

Mantics videos are great tutorials.

Hi Sheridan. Welcome.

I think we have a little bit of work to do here. The HD is not an aggressive shaver so in order to get cuts and razor burn you probably were using too aggressive a blade angle which caused you to scrape the skin on your face. Start from scratch on the angle by starting with the razor handle perpendicular to your face so the blade itself is not even touching. Then while taking short strokes bring the handle of the razor in a more downward angle until you just start to hear the blade cutting your beard. That's the angle you want to shave. Take very short slow strokes to start and go with the grain. Don't try against the grain until you've had a few painless shaves and improved your technique. You'll find you are getting great shaves in a very short time. And have fun.

Len

Unfortunately, the burning is a byproduct of poor technique. It'll pass, you just have to learn the grain of your hair and adhering to the other basic DE shaving principles (e.g., light/no pressure, concentrate on beard reduction using multiple passes, always shave WTG or XTG until your face heals, etc).

You may also want to consider using an ice towel after you rinse your face, post-shave. This will close your pores, tighten the skin, and soothe against irritation before you apply your aftershave.

Sounds to me like you are putting pressure on the razor (conscious of it or not)
Don't put any weight on it let the weight of the razor do the work.
Best way to do this is hold the razor by the tip of the razors handle for now when your shaving, makes it easier to remember and let the razor's weight do it's job.

Thanks for the advice guys. No doubt I was putting too much pressure and probably too aggressive an angle. The angle was especially tricky to get right around my chin line.

Also no doubt I will get better as I incorporate the advice from here and get in more practice with the Merkur. This is COMPLETELY different from my old Mach3's and kind of like learning to walk again!!

Definitely a learning curve, but after just a few weeks of DE shaving myself, my cartridges are going to someone who wants them. I don't any more...

Welcome!

Hello,

Same experience with me whn I first used the DE.

Rule #1: No Pressure!!!!!
Rule #2: Do only WTG for the first week or so.
Rule #3: Don't give up...and enjoy...:wink:

Marc

Oh I'm definitely not discouraged. Maybe a little stupid though! I read like a million posts all advising against going ATG for the first few weeks of shaving with a DE, so what do I do? Try it on my first shave :)

Looking forward to my next shave and I'm promising my skin that I will be more conservative, slow, and completely easy on the pressure!

OldSaw

The wife's investment
You might simply be changing too many things at one time.

Start with lather only and use whatever cartridge you have had decent results with. Once you are satisfied with the results you are getting from the lather, try the DE again and do not try shaving against the grain for a while. After you have developed your technique, then start experimenting with shaving ATG.

R

rainman

Hey all, great messageboard here. Lots of fun shaving-geek type stuff to read, which is right up my obsessive-compulsive alley!

After years of using whatever the current overpriced Gillette Mach3 product was (what's next, the Mach3 Nuclear?), I came across someone singing the praise of this strange sounding razor called the Merkur. That led me here and bam, three weeks later I had a Merkur HD and 25 Derby Extra blades along with some interesting samples of shaving soaps and creams in my mailbox!

So I just had my first shave with the HD, and as the title implies, I perhaps didn't approach it carefully enough!! Read up a bunch on technique, and felt I was prepared, but it was still an experience. First mistake was deciding to a full on shave, including going against the grain instead of my regular shave where I only go with the grain. I tried using as little pressure as I could, but there were parts of my face where it felt like I had to use a little bit more. A couple cuts ensued! And where there were no cuts, I nonetheless still probably went too agressive, leaving some razor burn. And despite the burn, there are still some patches where I can tell I didn't get everything going against the grain, so a less than perfect shave :(

There truly is a fairly steep learning curve with this baby, but I'm gonna stick with it. Hopefully by the time I finish with my 25 pack of blades, I'll be confident enough to justify ordering more.

Well, face on fire beats scarred for life. It only gets better.

Last edited by a moderator:
You might simply be changing too many things at one time.

Start with lather only and use whatever cartridge you have had decent results with. Once you are satisfied with the results you are getting from the lather, try the DE again and do not try shaving against the grain for a while. After you have developed your technique, then start experimenting with shaving ATG.

I got talked into buying a shaving kit by art of shaving at macy's last year so have been using a quality badger brush for awhile. More importantly, I have a pretty good sense of when my face is ready for a shave, and for occasions when I'm going to go ATG, I generally go two days without, then take a super hot, super long shower immediately beforehand to really open up the pores.

I think I just need to learn how to properly handle this new piece of equipment which sort of looks like my old Mach 3 but really has almost nothing in common with it! I don't mind a little pain though, and look forward to getting better at it.

Another newbie here with an even milder razor (mid fifties' Gillette Super Speed).

I think an assortment of razor blades (even just one or two other brands) would be helpful. Sometimes a blade that everyone else loves will be painful to you. Sometimes a blade that everyone else hates will feel really good.

I just finished up with the first two Derbies from my West Coast Shaving assortment and got the burning face effect the first shave of each blade. Second and third shaves, not so much. I just finished my first try of the much reviled Dorco ST-300 and my face feels great (close shave, too).

I'm just saying.

- Chris

Another newbie here with an even milder razor (mid fifties' Gillette Super Speed).

I think an assortment of razor blades (even just one or two other brands) would be helpful. Sometimes a blade that everyone else loves will be painful to you. Sometimes a blade that everyone else hates will feel really good.

I just finished up with the first two Derbies from my West Coast Shaving assortment and got the burning face effect the first shave of each blade. Second and third shaves, not so much. I just finished my first try of the much reviled Dorco ST-300 and my face feels great (close shave, too).

I'm just saying.

- Chris

+ 1

I will have to agree....

Top Bottom