What's new

Customizing an AS Balm?

So I saw on EMS Place that I can order a big bottle of unscented balm. Why unscented? Here is why? I don't want to have to invest alot of money just to add variety to my aftershave routine, so I figured I could buy a bottle of the unscented balm and buy several different scented essential oils, so that I can use the same large (economy) bottle of balm, yet change up the scents each day. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
That's an idea if you do not want to use any cologne. I do not now how this will go as essential oils are strong and concentrated. Having a drop with half a tablespoon of aftershave might be too much... Who knows, post the results!

I think you could achieve the same effect by just applying the unscented balm as-is, and then wear whatever EdT or EdC strikes your fancy.

I sometimes mix a drop or two of Pre-Shave Oil in my unscented ASB (Bigelow's #1200 or Nivea) ... it adds a nice little kick of spicy oils aroma, and enhances the smoothing and calming effect as well.

There is a shop here in Portland that makes their own ASB and lets you choose from a huge variety of essential oils to mix in. I bought a small bottle after sniffing a bunch of different oils and am very happy with the results. I find the scent lingers about as long as my Musgo Real ASB, and is not in any way overpowering. I should point out that they did the mixing, and I would personally be hesitant to attempt it myself. (if you are interested, they ship and will talk to you on the phone about their various scents. it is called escential and can be found immediately with a google search...the small bottle is only $5)

What about investing in some small bottles and mixing up a variety, and labeling them so you could use wich ever one you wanted on that particular day?

What about investing in some small bottles and mixing up a variety, and labeling them so you could use wich ever one you wanted on that particular day?

That is the idea, but the drawback is buying enough unscented balm to fill them up, alongside with the cost of the oils, but I am seriously thinking about doing that.

Top Bottom