What's new

Discussion Thread for Straight Razor Designs Premium I and Cotton Herringbone Strop

That looks a lot like the Dovo webbing, which really needs to be dressed in their white paste in order to perform acceptably. At that price it really should have come dressed and flat.

I was very disappointed. It looks like something that could be found at any fabric store - very run-of-the-mill. Considering the extra charge for the cotton as opposed to the webbed fabric, there is a lot of room for improvement.

Great review Telly.. I was considering one before I read this,,, Thanx for taking one for the team... Now did you ever source those cordovan strops you pictured in another thread????
Thanx for the review!!

Great review Telly.. I was considering one before I read this,,, Thanx for taking one for the team... Now did you ever source those cordovan strops you pictured in another thread????
Thanx for the review!!
I bought the only one available. It's very nice.

I actually pasted mine with the TI paste and now it seems to work fine. I still think it is much thinner than the TM linen.

Ameet

I actually pasted mine with the TI paste and now it seems to work fine. I still think it is much thinner than the TM linen.

Ameet
Does it work as well as TM cotton? How much paste did you need to use? Have you used any vintage strops that came with a pasted linen component? That last question is so I know whether you know what a pasted linen/cotton strop looks/feels like.

Last edited:
How does it compare with the Dovo linen?

I have no experience with a Dovo Strop and am really a newbie at this whole thing.. I do have the TM Linen strop but I got it used. That seemed to have draw. However when I got the SRD Linen, it didn't seem to do anything or have any draw. I actually then read one of your post where you liked the Polishing paste and it worked well. I had the TO paste sitting here from a recent order and decided to have it a go.

Instantly I noticed stropping started to trap , black (assume metal) on the linen and had a lot more draw, comparable to the TM linen now.

I stropped my LB&B Le Grelot about 20 -30 times and it seemed to have refreshed the edge, which I thought was dull when i got it used as well.

Not sure how much my word on strop counts as i am newbie at this so take with a grain of salt.

Ameet

I have no experience with a Dovo Strop and am really a newbie at this whole thing.. I do have the TM Linen strop but I got it used. That seemed to have draw. However when I got the SRD Linen, it didn't seem to do anything or have any draw. I actually then read one of your post where you liked the Polishing paste and it worked well. I had the TO paste sitting here from a recent order and decided to have it a go.

Instantly I noticed stropping started to trap , black (assume metal) on the linen and had a lot more draw, comparable to the TM linen now.

I stropped my LB&B Le Grelot about 20 -30 times and it seemed to have refreshed the edge, which I thought was dull when i got it used as well.

Not sure how much my word on strop counts as i am newbie at this so take with a grain of salt.

Ameet

Thanks, Ameet.

When you say TM Linen, do you mean the actual linen or the cotton? People often call everything linen although they are different.

How does the SRD cotton w/paste compare to the TM second component?

Thanks, Ameet.

When you say TM Linen, do you mean the actual linen or the cotton? People often call everything linen although they are different.

How does the SRD cotton w/paste compare to the TM second component?

Telly, My TM is the Genuine Linen. TM seems to be much thicker than the SRD. However now that I have pasted the SRD, i think it is a good companion to go at it first on the pasted SRD , then on the Linen and then on the leather.

I do like the SRD Premium I leather though. The draw is perfect. I have a TM Latigo Practice strop and felt the draw on it required a lot more pressure.

Overall, I think the SRD would be best pasted where as TM Linen barebones

Ameet

Telly, My TM is the Genuine Linen. TM seems to be much thicker than the SRD. However now that I have pasted the SRD, i think it is a good companion to go at it first on the pasted SRD , then on the Linen and then on the leather.

I do like the SRD Premium I leather though. The draw is perfect. I have a TM Latigo Practice strop and felt the draw on it required a lot more pressure.

Overall, I think the SRD would be best pasted where as TM Linen barebones

Ameet
Thanks for the help, Ameet.

The Premium I leather is definitely a good buy.

Top Bottom