What's new

Seagram's Smooth Brazilian Rum

Yes, you read that right - Seagram's makes rum now. Since it's a "Brazilian rum" I suppose it's more appropriately a cachaça.

I bought a bottle last week and tried some last night. I was not overly impressed; however, I have been told that one does not drink cachaça neat so that may have had something to do with my less than stellar impression of it.

I think I will reserve final judgment on it until I make a caipirinha out of it.

Has anyone tried this stuff yet? What did you think?

C

CACHACAMAKER

Yes, you read that right - Seagram's makes rum now. Since it's a "Brazilian rum" I suppose it's more appropriately a cachaça.

I bought a bottle last week and tried some last night. I was not overly impressed; however, I have been told that one does not drink cachaça neat so that may have had something to do with my less than stellar impression of it.

I think I will reserve final judgment on it until I make a caipirinha out of it.

Has anyone tried this stuff yet? What did you think?
As a producer of premium cachaca the only true way to find out if your are drinking quality cachaca or poor quality is to sip it neat.

If its artisanal you will enjoy it, if it made by an industrial process the taste will be closer to ethanol. Making a caipirinha will only hide the taste, but try one of the many premium cachacas, like Cuca Fresca or Leblon to see the difference.

The question I have is why would they not call it cachaca? The Brazilian Government has certain rules in order for Cachaca to be exported so perhaps it is not cachaca and therefore can not be called cachaca. And to think, does the world need another RUM?

The question I have is why would they not call it cachaca? The Brazilian Government has certain rules in order for Cachaca to be exported so perhaps it is not cachaca and therefore can not be called cachaca. And to think, does the world need another RUM?

All good questions. Personally, I think it's because Americans can't pronounce cachaca and have a habit to cringe from unfamiliar things. I am not privvy to the recipe so I can't say for sure.

man i miss a good caipirinha. while in brazil for a few weeks i drank those like water. i'll have to pick up some cachaca and whip some up for the summer.

Fascinating. Seagrams, the company that also brought us that other classic rum product, Captain Morgan. How helpful for it to confuse things with a product that has never existed previously. Marketing is all. There is nothing that cannot be cheapened in order to make a profit.

Apparently, CACHACAMAKER got it right. It does not qualify as cachaca. It is distilled at too high a proof.

I agree, by the way that Leblon is wonderful. Although I pretty much like all cachaca, even the industrial fire water brands!

Top Bottom