What's new

Manly or not Manly: "Predator"'s Bic Mac

Manly, or Not Manly?

• Manly

• Not Manly

Results are only viewable after voting.
After learning about wet shaving, I recalled a character from the original Predator movie: Mac (played by Bill Duke). He spends most of his time in the movie scraping a bic across his face for no apparent reason. I guess it was to show how tough he was. Upon recalling it, I started asking myself:

Is it Manly, or Not Manly?

Through that whole movie I was waiting for him to be startled and then give himself a gash. Shaving in a war zone is dangerous!:001_rolle

I think it crosses over into stupidity. If he REALLY wanted to be manly he'd have used Billy's machete. Vin Diesel shaved his head with a shiv and some grease. For a purpose. That's manly.

I must admit that facial shaving is a mostly masuline undertaking and most of us enjoy it because of the link it provides to our fathers and grandfathers. But, there are much more apt measures of manliness in my estimation. Being responsible for ones actions. Owning up to your mistakes. Properly raising your children. Being faithful, being kind, being generous.

So, this guy could have been shaving with an Ellis custom with it held in between his toes and while it is impressive, is it manly?

Not manly...by simple comparison with his fellow mercenary Blain, played by Jesse Ventura, who exemplifies "manly" in this interchange:

Pancho: You're bleeding, man. You're hit.
Blain: I ain't got time to bleed.
Poncho: [Confused] Oh... Okay...
Poncho: [Poncho shoots a bunch of grenades up to the top of the cliff] You got time to duck?

I didn't see it as a way of demonstrating manliness. It showed how one guy was able to keep himself in the game despite his fears. Kind of like a security blanket, or maybe a nervous tic. Besides, his sweat probably kept his beard well enough moisturized!:001_smile

So, I didn't vote because I don't think manly/not-manly is an appropriate measure for that.

Last edited:
Manly and Smart.

It is hot and humid in the jungle. That would bring your beard out. So take advantage of the situation and shave. BBS 24 hours a day!

In the past I would take a disposable with me into a sauna. Just using it I would get a BBS shave.

David

If stupid or stupidity were included in the poll I think you'd have a huge majority. There is nothing manly about scraping a crappy plastic razor over your nasty sweaty face. If anything it simply confirms for your enemy that you are an idiot.

I must admit that facial shaving is a mostly masuline undertaking and most of us enjoy it because of the link it provides to our fathers and grandfathers. But, there are much more apt measures of manliness in my estimation. Being responsible for ones actions. Owning up to your mistakes. Properly raising your children. Being faithful, being kind, being generous.

So, this guy could have been shaving with an Ellis custom with it held in between his toes and while it is impressive, is it manly?

We're just joking around here. We're talking stereotypical action movie manly. Let's lighten up a bit.

I think it crosses over into stupidity. If he REALLY wanted to be manly he'd have used Billy's machete. Vin Diesel shaved his head with a shiv and some grease. For a purpose. That's manly.

It's to try and repress the memories of doing The Worm under another young boy's crotch.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JD2Mb8pM6E8[/YOUTUBE]

All very true--however--I'd imagine it would be markedly more difficult to do any of these things during war in comparison to dry shaving :w00t:

Not manly...by simple comparison with his fellow mercenary Blain, played by Jesse Ventura, who exemplifies "manly" in this interchange:

Pancho: You're bleeding, man. You're hit.
Blain: I ain't got time to bleed.
Poncho: [Confused] Oh... Okay...
Poncho: [Poncho shoots a bunch of grenades up to the top of the cliff] You got time to duck?

Greatest conversation in the whole movie!!!

I was watching the special features on the dvd one day and when they were describing his character he does that as a form of OCD/ADD more than anything like me he need to concentrate on several things to really focus on one. What can I say I'm all sorts of mentally hillarious :lol::lol::lol:

Top Bottom