What's new

2 Weeks In - How I Got Here

Hi everyone! I'm 52 years old and just got rid of a 12 year old beard. Here's my history:

I electric shaved from high school until my early 30's, when I got a brush and a mug of soap as a Christmas present. At that point, I started wet shaving with a Gillette Sensor (2 blade), albeit with little knowledge of what I was doing, simply because it was noticeably closer, and, in some ways, less irritating to my neck. I'd still get some irritation, so I went to Noxema brushless shaving cream for a while then to Aveeno stuff in a can (with oatmeal(?) without scent) until I finally decided to just grow out a beard to avoid a lot of the hassle altogether. I still shaved my throat below the beard (by this time with a Mach 3) and eventually just got in the habit of slathering a film of bath soap on my throat and doing enough ATG work to get it reasonably smooth. Remarkably, this worked reasonably well.

I lost my job in late January (recession-related/automotive-related) and started getting concerned about my old appearance (particularly with a mostly white beard) so I decided to get rid of the beard. Together with some hair darkening, I believe I now look quite a bit younger than I did. Haven't snagged an in person interview yet, but I'll have to take this one step at a time :001_smile

At first I figured I'd get an electric razor to make the chore quick and simple each morning, but when I visited the Consumer Reports electric razor report I found the following passage: "The closest of shaves should make a face feel like fine, 1000-grit polishing paper." :frown: I knew that that wouldn't be very satisfying, so I googled "how to shave" and ended up watching the following video by MarkGauvrea: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6SglZopfmk . Good start. In the comments section, someone asked him if he belonged to B&B, then explained what B&B was. Mark also recommended Mantic59's videos as the ultimate source to another commenter, so that's what got me here.

I spent the first week working with the old brush and soap and my Mach 3, learning the grain of my face, then started in with the Mama Bear soaps and a Super Speed of my birth date that I bought from B/S/T about a week ago. The first few days were really variable, but things are getting much more consistent now.

I'm enjoying this very much and--one of the few benefits of extended unemployment--I have the opportunity to take my time shaving each morning while I learn. :001_smile
Thanks, everybody, for the help!

Last edited:
I lost my job in late January (recession-related/automotive-related)

I feel your pain. When all is said and done, the Americanm automobile will be better than it has ever been. I hope, otherwise I'm out of job selling cars nobody wants!

Congrats on getting back into the shaving game.

A nice shaved face does make a man look younger, particularly when the beard hairs are graying (not that I would know anything about that).:rolleyes:

Top Bottom