What's new

Acquisitions May 18 - 24

Status
Not open for further replies.
A sample of Hydrolast Lime & Green Tea Aftershave Conditioner, courtesy of mammoo.

Smells great, will be tried shortly.

Thanks very much!

Stopped by an Estate Sale down the street and happened upon an old Gift Collection by Mennen. It contains four 1.5 oz original, dimpled glass bottles of aftershave.

The scents are:
Spice Scent
Original
Burnished Leather
Wild Moss

I thought it was pretty cool to get some shaving history that's no longer available. My deft hands ripped the box when I was opening it.

I won this suspicious Bay sale recently. pics were terrible, description was even worse. I knew for sure that the case was for a TV Special but could not tell what the razor was. I won it at $8 so couldn't really lose and my RAD is pretty bad. The case was completely pooched so I tossed it but ended up with a rather nice 60s Tech - a Sportsmen maybe??

Not too sure really what it is. The only markings on it are the Big Gillette logo on the face and Made in England inside. No date code or Patent markings at all.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Well, I have absolutely no money, but I can hardly suffer a week going by without some sort of shaving-related purchase, so I picked up a 200 ml bottle of Aqua Velva Ice Blue for $4 Canadian. It was just cheap enough that I could buy it with the change in my car :tongue_sm

Godrej Luxury Shave Cream
Astra Ceramic Blades
Gillette Super Adjustable
Floid Amber
Rituals Skincare Pre Shave Oil
&
Rituals Skincare Milk and Honey ASB
Great Day!!Cant wait for tomorrow's shave:smile:

Well, I have absolutely no money, but I can hardly suffer a week going by without some sort of shaving-related purchase, so I picked up a 200 ml bottle of Aqua Velva Ice Blue for $4 Canadian. It was just cheap enough that I could buy it with the change in my car :tongue_sm

Hi Anthony,

That AV Ice Blue has gotta' be the best bang for your buck, great stuff at a great price! Which reminds me...I'm all out, so got to pick some up next time I'm at Shopper's. But if I use the change in my car I'll be scrambling at the Country Style coffee take out window! :biggrin:

Today I went to one of the larger Danish annual fleamarkets; the Bridge Market in Middelfart.

Pickings were slim, but I managed to score the following items:

proxy.php

No name Gillette Old Type clone in mismnatched Barbett bakelite razor box w. a few blades and a loose head from a MFM branded razor

proxy.php

Flying Eagle Brand plastic handle Tech clone. These must be rather common here in Denmark, it is the second one I find: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=73008

proxy.php

proxy.php

DUX (an old Danish household equipment brand) branded Gillette Old Type clone. I am quite sure that this one will clean up beautifully

proxy.php

Butterscotch handle vintage badger. This one will make a nice restoration project

I have been attending flea-markets since I was 12. Just a few years back razors (both straights and DEs) were everywhere - and costed next to nothing. I remember seeing at least two really nice mint/near mint sets last year (sadly before I got into DE shaving). But now, less than a year after there is nothing to be found except from what the professional buyers leave behind. I really thought it would take at least a few years before that happened here in Denmark, but no, it has already happened. Everywhere I asked about razors the answer was either: "Sorry, I just sold the ones I had" (1½ houer into the first day of the market!) or "Funny, everyone asks about those now". On top of that the prices, even for broken/worn out razors has gone through the roof. The interesting thing is that these razors do not show op in antique stores - so they must go straight to e-Bay :frown:

But, I still managed to get a bag a few good ones anyway; the DUX razor and the butterscotch brush are beautifull - and will be even more when I get them cleaned/restored.

Regards.

Jakob

AOS was selling this for $175, I would never pay that. A friend called me today and said AOS was closing them out for $75.00 I quickly called the Time Warner Center store and they were sold out. He told me to check out the store at Madison and East 62nd. They had it and held if for me.
View attachment 51929

My first time posting in Acquisitions..

So this is my score...
I got a Merkur HD Slant from Piedmont, and he threw in a bunch of free blades.

I also got an very clean Gillette Adjustable from Maher, who also threw in a free 5 pack Derby Extras.

Lastly I purchased 100 Derby extras from MasterP. It was a good Birthday week. :biggrin:

Picked up this Gold 102A head '21-'29 Old Type Gillette and Gold GEM Micromatic open comb at an antique store today for $7.50 each. Got the straight on ebay at the end of last week, but it's close to this week.

Stopped by an Estate Sale down the street and happened upon an old Gift Collection by Mennen. It contains four 1.5 oz original, dimpled glass bottles of aftershave.

The scents are:
Spice Scent
Original
Burnished Leather
Wild Moss

I thought it was pretty cool to get some shaving history that's no longer available. My deft hands ripped the box when I was opening it.

Awesome score. You going to use these or keep them as a collectable?

mail man came again today! :D

Tried cleaning some up, didn't have the best supplies for the job though.
Also, I must be a total nub but I can't figure out how to read the date codes. I saw the table at http://www.geocities.com/safetyrazors/gil_ser2.htm but I'm just as lost as when I started. Can anyone who actually knows what the codes mean help me out here? I'm pretty much sure on the ident. but the dates elude me.

mail man came again today! :D
Tried cleaning some up, didn't have the best supplies for the job though.
Also, I must be a total nub but I can't figure out how to read the date codes. I saw the table at http://www.geocities.com/safetyrazors/gil_ser2.htm but I'm just as lost as when I started. Can anyone who actually knows what the codes mean help me out here? I'm pretty much sure on the ident. but the dates elude me.

D1 = 1st quarter of the year 1958
F4 = 4th quarter of the year 1960
G2 = 2nd quarter of the year 1961
H4 = 4th quarter of the year 1962
L1 = 1st quarter of the year 1966
Y2 = 2nd quarter of the year 1953
R3 = 3rd quarter of the year 1972

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom