What's new

Best non-alcohol based splash?

Does anyone out there have any suggestions for a good non-alcohol splash? Maybe something witch-hazel based? (Should I expect a bunch of responses that just say witch-hazel? :tongue_sm )

I'd basically like something with alum-like qualities that tightens my face, but without the drying qualities of alcohol.

Provence Sante green tea (or verlaine) A/S, available from baudelairesoaps.com.

Or, for a cheap option, Thayers Rose witch hazel.

but witch hazel does naturally contain alcohol....

I thought witch hazel was an extract from a shrub or plant or something (guess there's no reason why it couldn't contain alcohol, but not sure of the actual concentration.) I'm really just trying to find an alternative to my skin bracer/aqua velva (which I happen to like, but sometimes it seems like my skin needs a break. Especially in the winter.)

Musgo has witch hazel but doesn't state alcohol as an ingredient. Its ingredients are (from lafcony): aloe extract, glycerin, sodium PCA, witch hazel extract, and echinacea extract.

Also, from wikipedia...

"Essential oil of Witch Hazel is not sold separately as a consumer product. The plant does not produce enough essential oil to make production viable. However, there are various distillates of Witch Hazel (called Hydrosols or Hydrolats) that are gentler than the "drug store" Witch Hazel which contains alcohol."

So witch hazel doesn't necessarily use alcohol just the drug store ones such as Thayer's and possibly Musgo but I don't know.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Witch_Hazel_%28astringent%29

"Drug store" witch hazel can contain more alcohol than witch hazel. If you get a commercial grade distilled witch hazel, it can still contain more alcohol than witch hazel percentage wise. I use a twice distilled witch hazel in my products that contains 85.5% witch hazel and 14.5% alcohol. This makes it more soothing than the version found in your local store, and lacks the alcohol sting and scent.

It is a wonderful product but it is of course more expensive than what you would find in a drug store.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
If you want no alcohol, try hydrosols such as DaVinci water, or Thayer's witch hazels, many of which are alcohol free.

If you can tolerate a bit of it, Musgo Real is tough to beat (although D. R. Harris sandalwood a/s is even better).

This has been a huge help. I'm already a big fan of the musgo balsam (it's my everyday balm), so I probably owe it to Claus to try the splash. It also looks like the Thayers is relatively inexpensive, so I'll probably give them a try, too. I'm finding that shaving products are like ice cream - you don't have to have just ONE favorite.

Musgo has witch hazel but doesn't state alcohol as an ingredient. Its ingredients are (from lafcony): aloe extract, glycerin, sodium PCA, witch hazel extract, and echinacea extract.

Their description on website is false (incomplete). I have the box from the bottle of splash....and alcohol is in fact an ingredient. One of the first ingredients.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I recall reading that the alcohol content of the Musgo splash was around 16%, or thereabouts.
It doesn't sting me, and I'm pretty sensitive to that sort of thing.

Top Bottom