What's new

VDH Deluxe Soap

OK...can someone PLEASE tell my why I bought all these other soaps????

the VDH is a GREAT soap- it leaves my face feeling as good as ANY of the $16, $18, $20 pucks of soap I have, or any of the creams.

EXCELLENT lather, decent scent, fantastic price point...I find myself having to deliberately pass it over for something else right now....there is only ONE vendor of this stuff in all of Vancouver BC (that I can find)... I will have to stock up soon, or head to the US of A.....

Barry

This is Van Der Hagen, right?

Can I ask what store or chain you bought it from in BC and is it available outside of BC? I'd like to buy some.

Can I ask what store or chain you bought it from in BC and is it available outside of BC? I'd like to buy some.

Wal-Mart carries in stores here. It's on the website. If they don't have it in stock, they'll ship it to the store nearest you, if there is one(never been to BC), without shipping costs for your pick up.

Also, it's great stuff. If you melt one puck into a glass Pyrex bowl and drop another into the liquid, it makes for a great surface for loading up a brush. The ridges on the top stick out just a bit.

VDH is pretty good soap, much better than Williams, for those buck or two soaps. That said I would prefer others to it. Even Col Conk is vastly superior and then you have your tallow. YMMV as always though.

I'm running out of most of my high-end soaps/creams and have been using VDH Deluxe for a short while now. I'm very short on cash due to being laid off (again) and I am not disappointed in the least with VDH.

I melted it (double-boiler method) and added EOs to it to give it a little more scent, and have to say I'm very impressed. That's not to say that it doesn't smell good right out of the package. The scent has been compared to Grey Flannel cologne and that assessment is right on the money.

It performs DAMNED good for a soap costing less than $2 a puck. Lasts surprisingly long, too. Gives great lather with just a few swirls and provides great lubrication; a necessity for me especially considering I switched to straight shaving.

Zepher:

I picked mine up in Seattle, at a Bartell Drug store - I coulnt find it at rite-aid or Wagreens.... I have not looked for it at a Walmart in Washington, but that's where most folks seem to find it.

As for local (canada) if I recall, Anthony's Barber and Beauty Supply (in North Vancouver) sells it....at least I think that they do, as I saw a big box of "Deluxe Soap" on the shelf there, and it was the same colour and in the same plastic 'dish' container.

Barry

I'm running out of most of my high-end soaps/creams and have been using VDH Deluxe for a short while now. I'm very short on cash due to being laid off (again) and I am not disappointed in the least with VDH.

I melted it (double-boiler method) and added EOs to it to give it a little more scent, and have to say I'm very impressed. That's not to say that it doesn't smell good right out of the package. The scent has been compared to Grey Flannel cologne and that assessment is right on the money.

It performs DAMNED good for a soap costing less than $2 a puck. Lasts surprisingly long, too. Gives great lather with just a few swirls and provides great lubrication; a necessity for me especially considering I switched to straight shaving.

Glad to hear you like it so much. And good luck with everything. These are tough times but hopefully things will work out. Your B&B Brethren are behind you!

VDH (or at the time "Surrey") was one of the first soaps I ever used, and I've come back to it. I've come to blend the Select and Glycerin soaps, the former offering very good cushion, and the latter being very slick.

A fine soap, regardless of price.

Dave

V

VR6ofpain

OK...can someone PLEASE tell my why I bought all these other soaps????
Try Tabac. Then you will know why.

That said, vdH Deluxe and Glycerin are nice soaps. Very nice if you factor in the value.

For me, this stuff sounded too good to be true, and that turned out to be the case. I bought it and melted it into a container, even whipped up a test lather, but I just can't get myself to actually use it -- I do not like this smell.

Oh well, there goes $1.50 down the drain!

Last edited:
I just ordered the 12 pack of VDH Glycerin from amazon. It should be here on Friday. I can't wait to try it now that I've heard so many good things about it!

I have to agree with everyone here, this is what I got started on... The "Walmart Starter Pack" as I like to call it. Its the best way to get started, IMHO

Top Bottom