What's new

British Old Type identification

I haven't been able to find anything on it ... yet. I am leaning toward it being a Gillette clone, or knock-off, of some sort. The finish of the ends of the cap and guard, as seen below, look much too rough for anything that would pass Gillette quality control.

attachment.php

And you would never see the stamping extend into the teeth of the comb as seen here.

attachment.php

Has anyone seen that "AB" design following the "BRITISH MADE" before? It looks very familiar to me. :confused:

Achim, I can see some printing on the rivets of the snaps in this picture. Can you see what it says? That may lend a clue.

attachment.php

Interesting razor, and an interesting mystery.

Might be worth sending an email with pictures to the National Army Museum in the UK. The general inquiries address is:

[email protected]

The URL for the main website is:

http://www.national-army-museum.ac.uk

They may be able to identify the razor and manufacturer, or at least point you in the right direction.

Good luck, and keep us posted!

-----------------
Alan

Is it coincedence that the cap, guard and middle section of the handle that has the "v'" pattern stamped on it look like they are made from the same metal stock that is different metal stock than is used for the ball-end and the connecting neck piece? Perhaps a gillette ball-end and neck piece were fitted wth the other custom made pieces?

Top Bottom