What's new

Swedish Gillettes

I have tried Feathers, Merkurs, Israelis, Derbys, and German Wilkinson Swords -- all easy to obtain. I can't for the life of me figure out where to buy Swedish Gillettes. Can someone please advise. Thanks.

M

modern man

I have tried Feathers, Merkurs, Israelis, Derbys, and German Wilkinson Swords -- all easy to obtain. I can't for the life of me figure out where to buy Swedish Gillettes. Can someone please advise. Thanks.

LetterK blade sampler

look for the guy with B.A. as his avitar :smile:

Better yet. Don't try them. If you do, there is a high likelihood of getting hooked. Then you will either have to pay three-five times as much per blade as everyone else, or do without, knowing that there is a better blade out there, that you are just too cheap to buy.

Ignorance is bliss.

-Mo

You know, Mo, that is really sage advice. This wet shaving thing is already getting pretty expensive. How much better can the Swedish be, after all. Maybe I'll just save my money for that incredible looking B&B Brush.

(On the other hand, maybe the Swedish really is the Holy Grail)

Most people who get the Swedes order them from auravita.com which although is located in the UK has fair and reasonable shipping to the US. The blades are found here.

Dennis

At Mike02's recommendation I checked out auravita.com. The Swedish Gillettes cost £1.85 for five blades, but the minimum sale is £2.00. So it costs £3.70 for ten blades. The shipping cost to the U.S. is £5.50, so the total comes to £9.20. At today's exchange rate this comes out to $17.39 for ten blades. Compared to the cost of Israelis or Derbys on eBay, that seem pretty steep. I think maybe I'll take Mo's advice and pass for now. Thank you all.

The Swedes are my favorite as well...especially when paired with my Merkur Classic or 1904. They are so smooth that sometimes I have to check to make sure I have a blade in the razor...no kidding! Yes, they cost more, but so does StarBucks! For me they are worth it! You can keep playing with the quantity and shipping at auravita and find a sweet spot for the best quantity to shipping costs. If I can't have a Swede, I will settle for an Israeli.

You don't see many threads dedicated to the Swedish Gillettes...most are pertaining to Derbys and Feathers. As more folks discover the Swedes, hopefully we can find a better source.

Lousy filth, that stuff. For me the difference is that Swedes just might be worth the money.... :smile:

I actually prefer Dunkin' Donuts Coffee over Starbucks! :ohmy: But that's a thread for another day!

full

And yes Moses, you are absolutely right...the Swedes are indeed worth the money!!! :biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:
It is a thread for another day. But in the meantime.... I tend to agree. I would never buy an espresso drink at DD, but the straight coffee = good stuff. I had a roommate in Berkeley who was from Martha's Vineyard area, and would buy bags when home and carry them in her luggage back to Berkeley. Mind you, Pete's is readily available in Berkeley.

-Mo

I really like the Swedes, but there was one criteria they failed on for me, I could not get a week's worth of shaves out of them. I loved everything about them though, the way they cut, the way they felt, but by the sixth day, they were really pulling. That being said, if I could buy them in bulk at a reasonable price, I would.

Top Bottom