What's new

Blades you don't like or don't like you

Wilkinson Sword blades: Tried them in a 40's and black handled SS, bloody mess.

Now I'll have to try them in a Tech or in an open comb razor.

Derbys don't like me and honestly i don't like them at all. I found them sharp but they are not smooth at all IMHO.
I have found the Personna and the IP to work well with most if my razors; Markur HD, Slim SS '50, SS '40, Red Tip and Ball Ended Tech

Here is proof of why YMMV is the only thing you can count on and why, at the end of the day, questions like this can only be answered empirically. While Tommy is no doubt exactly correct about his experiences, my experiences with the same blades in virtually the same razors, is very different. I use, among others, a 38C, a 40's SS, a Red Tip and an Aristocrat. I get great results with the Derbys in all of them. I also get superb results with the Feathers in all of my razors, although in the 38C, the Feathers aren't really any better than the Derbys for me, and may be a little worse because there is a greater risk of irritation. On the other hand, while the RPIPs are certainly smooth and irritation free, so far I can't seem to get a really close shave with them in any of my razors. Comfortable, yes, but close, no (not yet anyway).

The moral of the story is that you need to try a variety of different blades for yourself and in different razors, because that is the only way you will know for sure what combination(s) will work for you. Just be careful, and don't be afraid to chuck a blade that's not working for you and change to another mid-shave if necessary.

All that is important is that YOU enjoy YOUR shave!

Another vote for Dorco. Astras, either green label or keramik are nothing more than passable, and, believe it or not, Swedes are about ok.

In a slant good performers: Iridium supers, Feathers, Gillette yellows, Sharks and Rainbows.

Poor performers: 7am, astras and treets.

Inconsistent: derbys

Top Bottom