Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blades you don't like or don't like you

Default Blades you don't like or don't like you

I'm hoping you guys can answer this question for me.

I wonder if anyone has tried a blade, found they didn't like it in a particular razor, then tried the same blade in a different razor and discovered it worked well for them?

I've personally only used the Merkur 38C, which I love, and which works beautifully with about 40% of the 30 blades I've tried. Another 30% are so-so. Then there is the bottom of the barrel 30% which I found a hideous, never to be repeated experience.

I don't know if I would be brave enough to try those awful blades with a slant, which I'm considering getting next.

Any ideas?

rainman

You could easily like the blades in another razor. Maybe a completely different head style like a Gillette red tip or Super Adjustable. The slant is too similiar of a razor to get a different result with those blades. Also, with more experience some blades that you didn't like you may change your mind on. Even used in the same razor you disliked them in.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Derbys don't like me and honestly i don't like them at all. I found them sharp but they are not smooth at all IMHO.
    I have found the Personna and the IP to work well with most if my razors; Markur HD, Slim SS '50, SS '40, Red Tip and Ball Ended Tech

I haven't found any of the Treet blades to work for me.
    De gustibus non est disputandum

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Treets don't like me either....Trigs do though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes, I've found that I can use Feather and Gillette 7 O'clock Yellows in anything and get a DFS shave at the minimum. However, I can only use Derby's in open comb razors if I want a decent shave. Conversely, I don't care for Feathers in a Red Tip (though it still yields DFS).

It's different for all of us, but I do agree one blade can very different from razor to razor.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Don't much like Dorcos...I really wanted to b/c of the inexpensive price tag, but they are just to dull for my taste...could bed used in a pinch, but with all the other options available, no more Dorcos for me!
    -Keith-

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Images

I disliked the Feather in my 38C, but found it worked really well in my EJ Georgian razor. So, yes.
    “The things you used to own, now they own you.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Dorcos and my Tech are a hateful combination. I've yet to try Dorcos in my SS...
    Chuck
    Purveyor of words

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Images

Dorcos, at least the ST-300s, are pretty horrible IMHO. They work but as comfortable as using a Sensor cartridge with over a half dozen shaves on it. Haven't found a razor that made me think otherwise.

Crystals don't really do anything for me either; But I love Derbys in any razor, including a shavette!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I don't like Astra at all. Funny thing is though, they seem better in a NEW or New Improved than in a safetybar razor
    Australians - visit Great Southern Land @ http://tinyurl.com/bbgsl - Aussie Shave Wiki

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

For me merkur blades are very rough in any razor , except the futur, but i havent found a blade that doesn't work in this one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Crystals in any razor tear my face to shreds, Personnas aren't much better.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

red pack personnas are my goto blades in any razor...feathers for my slim adjustable and I have 40 derbys that are collecting dust...i've just had too inconsistent of an experience with derbys...I haven't given them that much trial, but in my experience, if I don't remember anything, that means there was nothing to remember...so they're dust collectors at the moment...
    Christopher

Red tip SS...flare tip SS...black handle SS...slim adjustable.....

Feathers...Astras...Red Pack Personnas.....

Truefitt and Hill 1805 SC...TOBS Eton College Gentlemen's SC...Salter Sandalwood SC.....

[url]http://www.shavingessentials.net[/url] ...check it out...John is good people.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Dorco's, BIC's and Kai's just rip my face apart. Even when just taken out of the wrapper, they perform awefully for me.

Best Blades for me are Red Personna's in my Futur and Gillette Swedes (or green 7'o'clocks) in my 40ies style SuperSpeed. My Krona likes Derby's.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Images

I thought Derby's were working well enough for me as my first DE blade. I was getting some persistant irritation on my neck, but I wrote that off to 'beginners technique' issues. Then I moved to the next blade in my sampler pack, Swedish Gillettes. I almost didn't notice that my neck was remaining clear. Again I thought perhaps it was the overall improvement in my technique. I only have one DE razor at the moment, an EJ Bulbous Lined with the older Merkur head. I have a new EJ Georgian on order from TESCO with the Muhle head. I may try the Derby's in that one to see if they shave any better. I don't know what I will replace the Swedes with when they are all gone. Thus far though, the Swedish Giillettes are the smoothest and Derbys just may not work for me as well as I thought.
    I would rather be with the people of this forum than with the finest people in the world.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Feathers in anything...I end up looking like I have smallpox after a shave with them...thanks for all the weepers...

And as Prophet (above me) states, Derbys as well for the same reasons as his...I think I'm allergic to whatever they are coatign the blasdes with. Not only do they feel dullish to me, and perhaps TOO forgiving, but they leave me with bumps, irritation, and a totally crap shave.

Currently working in Suzhou, China. Born in Glasgow, Scotland
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I like the Swedes a lot but there gone from general circulation. Have used Feathers for so long I need a change and just occasionally they skin me a tiny bit. Trying Astras soon and the white lable Wilkies are deceptively good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thumbs up

Feathers to me were too harsh in th merkur hd. I tried it in a Gillette superspeed `47 and it was like magic.

Since having used that combo for 3 months I went back and tried the feather in the merkur hd and now use that as my main set up. I guess my face just needed to get used to the sharpness and in the mean time my technique has improved.

Good luck with your adventure.

Rob
    Rob

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I don't like Dorcos - they just seem rough and don't cut well in any razor I've used. My favorites are Feathers and Bics - they seem to work well in almost any razor. Merkurs can be fussy but still OK. Derbys are too mild for my taste but work OK.
    Rick

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast