What's new

More shaves with more expensive blades.

I get 4 shaves with a Dorco or Crystal, so for the more expensive blades like 7 O'Clocks, Feathers, Bolzano, Iridium, here is the breakdown.

- 7 O'Clocks (Sharp Edge, Super Stainless, and Permasharp) = yes, about 1-2 more shaves
- Feather = no
- Bolzano = no
- Iridium = yes, about 2-3 more shaves

Not necessairly. You should really test out the blade first before ordering a lot of them. Compare with a few other samples so you have something to compare to. But certainly price does not equal more shaves, nor does it mean you will get better or closer shaves. I get my best shaves out of Derby's, and they are certainly not an expensive one.

Order a sampler pack and find what is right for you before placing a big order. West coast shave has some good ones.

+1. What we say may be totally the opposite from what you discover. For example the 7 O'clock SharpEdge (Yellow) is in my top three. I read a post the other day where they were compared to Dorco or Merkur (blades I can't use).

The sample pack: I think what happens is, you get started in DE shaving and you order a sample pack. You make some decisions about what blades you like. Then you shave for a while and start asking different questions about the blades, for example, what blades last longer, or what blades are good in this razor I just acquired, but your sample pack is exhausted. So, you need to order another.... This may happen several times.

Also, you have to watch out for inherent bias, conscious or unconscious. If you know you paid more for a blade you might (and I would) be inclined to try to get more use out of it.:smile:

Personally, I've been able to get at least three nice shaves out of any blade, except Feather. I have to ditch a Feather after the second shave or it just starts feeling more like a Dorco :biggrin:.

The sample pack: I think what happens is, you get started in DE shaving and you order a sample pack. You make some decisions about what blades you like. Then you shave for a while and start asking different questions about the blades, for example, what blades last longer, or what blades are good in this razor I just acquired, but your sample pack is exhausted. So, you need to order another.... This may happen several times.

This is a very good point. As a newbie it will take me years to sort this out. I need the help of the experienced shavers on the forum.

I'm taking it pretty slow. I've found a razor I like for now: 1969 Gillette SA Long Handle. At some point in the distant future (read: when I have disposable cash), I might get a little RAD and try a Merkur this or that. The same thing goes for my cream (Proraso, for now). Now that I have reasonable combination there, I'm going through the sample pack.

As for cost, I seem to be getting 2-3 decent shaves from Dorco (dirt cheap blades). I got 1 horrible shave from a Merkur (much more expensive than Dorco). So ... YMMV, but ....

NO! More expensive does not automatically mean a better blade.

I hope this helps. Hey, this is my 25th post. I think I've just graduated to DE envious. :w00t:

Cheers,
Matthew

I'm taking it pretty slow. I've found a razor I like for now: 1969 Gillette SA Long Handle. At some point in the distant future (read: when I have disposable cash), I might get a little RAD and try a Merkur this or that. The same thing goes for my cream (Proraso, for now). Now that I have reasonable combination there, I'm going through the sample pack.

As for cost, I seem to be getting 2-3 decent shaves from Dorco (dirt cheap blades). I got 1 horrible shave from a Merkur (much more expensive than Dorco). So ... YMMV, but ....

NO! More expensive does not automatically mean a better blade.

I hope this helps. Hey, this is my 25th post. I think I've just graduated to DE envious. :w00t:

Cheers,
Matthew

You've got a great vintage Gillette shaver. Love those long handled Super Adjustables!

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
+1 on the sample pack.

You can always make your own and buy the minimum (5-10 blades) of each. It might cost more right now but trying them for 5 blades would be easier than being stuck with 99 blades...

Top Bottom