What's new

Any Good, "Old Time" Barbershops In Tulsa, OK Area?

The title basically says it all.

Looking for a good barbershop in the Tulsa, Oklahoma area. The kind where the barbers really know their stuff and offer all those "old man" lotions and potions.

Specifically, any place from Claremore westward. To include Catoosa, Tulsa and Broken Arrow.

Just looking for a good haircut without having to go to one of those "stylists".

You know what I mean.

David

< i must admit to sterottyping your part of america as i in my head imagined you would be tripping overmsyelf with traditional barbers.. I must get out more and apologise for my narrow mindedness

That's one of the problems with this country today. Too many men getting waxed and botoxed, and not enough making traditional Barber visits. The ability to reserve manly rituals and shoot the breeze with the guys has been replaced by "neuterings" at the local beauty shop. I suggest that everyone look carefully at their roots and the heritage which brought us to where we are today. I ask that every man in this fine nation put down the chocolatini, pick up an ice cold beer and head to the local barber shop for a shave, a cut and a piece of history.

Of course, that's just my opinion...I could be wrong.

That's one of the problems with this country today. Too many men getting waxed and botoxed, and not enough making traditional Barber visits. The ability to reserve manly rituals and shoot the breeze with the guys has been replaced by "neuterings" at the local beauty shop. I suggest that everyone look carefully at their roots and the heritage which brought us to where we are today. I ask that every man in this fine nation put down the chocolatini, pick up an ice cold beer and head to the local barber shop for a shave, a cut and a piece of history.

I believe you are right, which is kind of hard for me to imagine, but...:lol:

Tell you what, OV and danster . . . I live in Tulsa, too, and I go to a not-old fashioned barber shop which, at least, is not a stylist. (Curt's Cutters, 41st and Peoria.) You've inspired me to keep looking. I've got a half-day coming up next Monday . . . I'll report back, whether it's a hit or a miss. If y'all do the same, we can narrow the field much more quickly.

+1. My haircuts have always been done by barbers at traditional barbershops. I wouldn't have it any other way.

I have two leads, guys:

Philtower Barbershop, in the Philtower building in downtown Tulsa, claims to be a traditional barbershop. Unfortunately, its hours are only 10-3 M-F, so unless you're traditionally unemployed, you'll have to plan ahead to get there. They do take reservations, I think. Also, some friends of mine claim there's a traditional barbershop near the intersection of 31st St and Harvard . . . I don't even know what the name is, but I'll keep working on it.

In a strip shopping center just east of 31st and Harvard, tucked very inconspicuously back in a corner. This is the same shopping center as Ranch Acres Wine & Spirits (which BTW has very good selection of beer, wine, and whiskey.) There's a pole out front -- if it's spinning, that means they're open -- and the decor probably hasn't changed since the Johnson administration. Scattered in the waiting area are various manly magazines, some of which your wife wouldn't approve of. Michael gave me a good, traditional cut in about fifteen minutes for just $12; he even shaved my neck with a straight razor. His partner, Mr. Cush, will apparently give you a hot lather shave, too, if you want one. He's also got a sink for washing hair, which I didn't get, but I'm sure you could if you asked.

I don't know if they take walk-ins; call 742-4630 for an appointment. You probably should call a day in advance.

I'll follow up with more reviews as I find more places.

Try this one for an old fashioned shave:

Clay's Barber Shop
5098 S 79th East Ave
Tulsa, OK 74145 Map
(918) 622-2529

I just tried this shop a couple of days ago, based on a recommendation from a coworker. Never knew they offered an old fashioned shave - I'll have to ask for that next time.

Located in Fontana Shopping Center, just around the corner from Hideaway Pizza.

I believe the owner/barber is a retired Army commissioned officer. Lots of Army memorabilia in there. The young lady (Kelly) that works with him cut my hair and did a pretty good job for $15.00.

They stock some classic barbershop products for sale and are willing to special order. I purchased a jar of Lucky Tiger Mollé shave cream to try. The stuff smells really nice and old-style!

Regards,

David

In a strip shopping center just east of 31st and Harvard, tucked very inconspicuously back in a corner. This is the same shopping center as Ranch Acres Wine & Spirits (which BTW has very good selection of beer, wine, and whiskey.) There's a pole out front -- if it's spinning, that means they're open -- and the decor probably hasn't changed since the Johnson administration. Scattered in the waiting area are various manly magazines, some of which your wife wouldn't approve of. Michael gave me a good, traditional cut in about fifteen minutes for just $12; he even shaved my neck with a straight razor. His partner, Mr. Cush, will apparently give you a hot lather shave, too, if you want one. He's also got a sink for washing hair, which I didn't get, but I'm sure you could if you asked.

I don't know if they take walk-ins; call 742-4630 for an appointment. You probably should call a day in advance.

I'll follow up with more reviews as I find more places.

The next time I need a haircut I will give them a try, just to see what they are about. BTW, I also liked Clay's over at Fontana.

As to the Philtower Barber Shop, sounds like the kind of place that caters to executive types. I am assuming this based upon the info you provided regarding their location and business hours; particularly being open on Monday. Since I work afternoons, with Monday off, I will add that to my list to check out in the future.

Thanks for the suggestions. I really appreciate it.

Regards,

David

After several haircuts, I finally broke down and got a shave and haircut this morning at Continental. It wasn't ultra-traditional: basically, a two-pass shave, reasonably close (although I can get much closer with three passes and touch-ups at home). Mr. Cush uses a straight with a disposable blade and a hot lather machine, not a brush, but the experience was otherwise completely traditional -- headrest, lean back, lather, warm towel, lather, one pass, then second pass, warm towel, Aqua Velva, done. $22, 45 min for both shave and haircut.

Not suggesting that you run down to Norman on a daily basis, but if your quest for a CLASSICAL (read Ol' Timey) MEN'S BARBERSHOP is still burning in your heart, here is an excerpt from a web site in Norman:
"... The Midway Barber Shop boasts a continuous business since 1893. "

Call for a shave, only given on certain days of the week, sadly. Old fashioned shoe-shine stand, ancient barbers chairs (and some of the barbers too), all of the great old potions for hair care and manly fragrance.. Each haircut is followed by one of the (old) worlds great vibrator shoulder massages. If I remember correctly it is at 123E Main in scenic downtown Norman, next door to the Main Street Diner where you can get a great tamale breakfast most any day of the week!:thumbup:

+1. My haircuts have always been done by barbers at traditional barbershops. I wouldn't have it any other way.

For a really great haircut at a reasonable price, try Lookin Good at 1117 S. Houston Ave. in downtown's shadow, a half block south of the IDL. Ken the barber works alone, but Sugar, a docile red-bone hound, keeps him company. Sugar comes alive when small children enter the shop, but adults who bring treats will pass muster as well. If you forget, Sugar's mournful gaze will charm a treat from you on the next visit. And there will be a next visit.

The title basically says it all.

Looking for a good barbershop in the Tulsa, Oklahoma area. The kind where the barbers really know their stuff and offer all those "old man" lotions and potions.

Specifically, any place from Claremore westward. To include Catoosa, Tulsa and Broken Arrow.

Just looking for a good haircut without having to go to one of those "stylists".

You know what I mean.

David
my fiancé is the best barber youll ever meet his shop is is on 21st between Sheridan and yale between the tire shop and a mechanic shop his name is Darren ferguson the shop is chop shop barber shop if you don't like your cut you don't have to pay he has barbered for 21 years.:001_smile

Top Bottom