What's new

Are aftershaves really necessary?

First, I want to say I have finally experienced my second consecutive day of irritation-free shaving. It's not bbs. In some spots, it's not quite even a dfs but at least an fods (fairly okie dokie shave). No nicks, no cuts, no terrors.

Now, I have rarely used any kind of aftershave lotion/balm. Sometimes (probably a lot more often than is advisable) I rub a dab of hydrocortisone cream on my neck, which has usually been the only area of irritation. If I don't use hydrocortisone, then I just splash with cool (not usually cold) water. I recently began using witch hazel w/fourteen percent alcohol and a few times tried the Nivea aftershave balm for sensitive skin.

So far, I haven't died from not using aftershave, but a recent response to one of my earlier posts cautioned me against using hydrocortisone on a prolonged basis because it tends to thin the skin. You can probably guess what I've stopped using.

So, my question: Is splashing with cool/cold water sufficient, or is some type of aftershave truly more beneficial?

Thanks for your responses.

David

There is no definite right or wrong to any of this stuff, whtever works best for you, works best for you.

There are many types of AS ranging from plain old witch hazel to enriched moisturizing balms. Some are unscented, some are heavily scented. They all have a purpose, and most of us, I think, keep a variety around to suit our moods or needs on a given day.

The basic premise is that shaving is an assault on your face, and the AS is meant to cool it down and soothe it. If your skin is not particularly sensitive, then you may just want to wipe down with some witch hazel or an alcohol based AS to give you a nice little tingle and "tone" your face -- that is, to settle it down. That is what I do on most days, but I was surprised to learn how much softer and better my skin feels after using a more enriched type of lotion or balm. Is any of this really necessary? Who knows. Experiment, and see what works best for you.

Enjoy!

For me.....the minimum to follow up a fine shave...and I expect fine every shave :)
Is ALUM bar wiped over a newly shaved face. (Got mine at TOLUMBA.com)
AND
some moisturizer/balm.

AFTERSHAVE and EDT is,for me, just for scent.
I like them both...
Tom

The witchhazel is a good choice. If your skin isn't overly dry, that alone may suffice.

You can also mix witchazel about 2:1 with aloe vera gel and make a very nice aftershave.

I shaved for 20 years with cartridges and never used an aftershave, so I don't think I would call it a "necessity". However, since switching to DE I have noticed that using aftershave reduces the pain of irritation and nicks and seems to help my face heal faster. My face also seems softer, more moisturized, and healthier since I've started using aftershaves. I wouldn't choose to go without aftershave, but could if I had to.

As always, YMMV.

lots of options to go with and i suspect most if not everyone here will have tried them.
you end up rotating these things as well.

Witch Hazel
Alum Bloc
Aftershave/balm/cream/gel
cold water rinse
etc

your face will tell you what is right for you and most things are cheap enough to try without breaking the bank.
especially Witch hazel and Alum (which lasts forever)

I'm a newbie to this forum and to DE shaving, but I've already formed some impressions, and we all know that opinions are like belly buttons, most of us have one...

I started DE shaving a couple of weeks ago, after years of cartridge shaving. My first DE shave was on top of a dandy razor burn from trying to be creative with a Mach 3 (don't ask). I believe that was on a Thursday. I live 30 miles from town, out in the boonies, so it was Saturday before I got to a store. I shaved on that Friday, not on Saturday. Saturday afternoon I picked up a bottle of Nivea Sensitive Skin after shave balm and used it after my shave on Sunday. Wow! did that stuff feel good on my scorched hide!

I no longer have the razor burn, but I keep using the Nivea as a base layer, with light touch of a scented AS or cologne on top, because I like the way it makes my face feel, and I can rotate the scent...

Is aftershave necessary? Depends on your particular circumstances. Is it comforting? You bet!

As is popularly stated here, YMMV. My vote is for the aftershave...

Jay, do you use just one kind of aftershave or several? If just one, do I guess correctly that it's Nivea asb sensitive?
David

Last edited:

OldSaw

The wife's investment
For me it's a bonus. I enjoy splashing it on or rubbing it in and find the scent soothing and relaxing.

There are some splashes that have glycerin, witch hazel, and/or alum. I find the Proraso splash, Speick splash, and Floris splashes do a pretty nice job of cooling and calming my sensitive skin. And although I'm not sure they actually moisturize, I think the glycerin helps stave off drying out. I've used Speick Balm and Nivea Balms a bit too with pretty good results. Old Spice and Clubman seem to brace my skin, but they don't seem to soothe the way the others I mentioned do...but I think that's because they're without the Witch Hazel and whatever other magic stuff those first three splashes throw in there.

Bottom line, I definitely need something to soothe because my skin is sensitive. I definitely like that you can actually feel them working.

Last edited:
David, I actually have Nivea Extra Cooling ASB, though I don't think it's all that cooling. I use Thayers Witchhazel with Aloe Vera first, then the balm. I recently tried some T&H sample aftershaves that performed great, and just today took a new bottle of Provence Sante Green Tea for a test drive. I believe this is the beginning of what is referred to as ASAD. :blush:

I really do not like the thick feel of after shave balms. Indeed, I find them irritating (and yes, I know that's the opposite of what is supposed to happen :bored:). However, I rub my face with a cotton ball that has been soaked in witch hazel and just as that dries I'll spray on a favorite eau de toilette and I'm good to go. Try different ways of ending your shave and you'll find one or more ways that please you.

I agree with most of the sentiments posted already...

There are two circumstances in which I would consider an aftershave to be necessary:

1) If you are using a shaving cream/gel that substitutes alcohol for glycerin (a lot of canned products do this because it's cheaper and you don't need to add water to get a lather going), it's probably drying out your skin creating the need for an aftershave moisturizer unless you want to deal with irritation.​
2) If you cut yourself a lot, then it's probably a good idea to use an antiseptic aftershave to make sure you don't have any problems with infection.

Outside of those two circumstances, I'd say an aftershave is really more of a luxury than a necessity.

I personally use Nivea after shave replenishing balm (blue cap).
It works as an antiseptic (just in case), smells great, and moisturizes really well.
So for me, an aftershave lotion is just a little something nice after I'm done.

Witchhazel is an astringent, so if you find cold water isn't closing your pores enough, that's certainly an option.
:thumbsup:

Last edited:
So, my question: Is splashing with cool/cold water sufficient, or is some type of aftershave truly more beneficial?
I think many times water is sufficient. If I have achieved a particularly great shave that day I won't apply any ASB. Generally, If I had to make multiple passes on my neck that day I'll use an ASB.

I Like Baxter Of CA ASB---Slightly astringent, very soothing.

Great reply Farrel.

I always use after shave of some kind. Why? Because I like it. It feels good and It smells great. In the drier months I use an ASB with more moisturizing properties, in the hotter months I just use a splash.

I think I could probably get away with not using an aftershave balm - but it would not be particularly comfortable for a while. I'm a great fan of the Nivea balm, it's not expensive but makes my shave just a little bit more pleasurable and comfortable for the rest of the day.

I think aftershave is nessesary. I can imagine my shave without it. It's good for your skin, it's good for your well being. It's part of a classic wet shaving.

Top Bottom